THE WORK OF THE LORD

"Therefore, my beloved brethren, be ye steadfast, unmovable,

                                           always abounding in the work of the Lord,"

                                        (1 Corinthians 15:58 a)

                                          Chapter 4

   As we see in 1 Corinthians 15:58, we are to be steadfast and unmovable in the faith. Always abounding in the work of the Lord. Why are so many these days movable in their faith? Why are so many not abounding in the work of the Lord? In my experience, more times than not, it is because they refuse to even go to the Word of God for guidance. They would rather just follow man's teaching and have everything told to them by man. Ask God to guide you through the scriptures and He will help you. Then once you start to study the scriptures you will know if anyone is trying to deceive you or not.

   "And whatsoever ye do, do it heartily, as to the Lord, and not unto men; knowing that of the Lord ye shall receive the reward of the inheritance: for ye serve the Lord Christ." (Colossians 3:23,24). If we work for the Lord after salvation, He rewards us with inheritance at the judgment seat. Through Jesus we are heirs and therefore can earn rewards in heaven but we cannot earn our own salvation. Inheritance and salvation are two different things. 

   In Acts 8:26-39 the Ethiopian eunuch did ask Philip to explain Isaiah 53 to him (If you have not read Isaiah 53, I highly recommend you do). The key point here though is that the Ethiopian eunuch went to the scriptures first then God sent Philip to explain what he was reading. If you are truly searching for the truth of God's Word and you do not understand the text, God will send you someone who does.

   Reading the Word of God (K.J.V.) is one of the ways to build our relationship with God. That is what separates Christians from worldly religions. First we have faith then we have a relationship with our Heavenly Father. A part of the work of the Lord is to keep ourselves apart from the world.

   "Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth." (2 Timothy 2:15). If you want to be proficient in your work for the Lord, you need to obey this simple commandment. Study the scriptures so that you can have an answer to most questions that will come up while witnessing. It is how you become a workman that will not be ashamed. Rightly divide the word of truth so that you know who the Bible is speaking to and when the Bible is speaking to them.

   We are not saved by works but we are most definitely saved for works. Witnessing the gospel of Jesus to the lost is one of the greatest works a saved person could do for the Lord. If you look upon a person that is not trusting the blood of Jesus, you are looking at a dead person. What hinders you from leading that person to life that is Christ Jesus our Lord? This time of apostasy has greatly attacked the ministry to the point were very few even try to win souls to Christ. Living holy and doing works does not save you but we are to do both once we are saved.

   We should always be willing to work for God. Whether it is preaching, teaching, witnessing, studying His Word, or just handing out tracks. Do all things to glorify God. "For we are labourers together with God: ye are God's husbandry, ye are God's building." (1 Corinthians 3:9). God does not want us being slothful when it comes to serving Him. There is always something you could do for the Lord.

   If someone calls themselves Christian without even having the scriptures (K.J.V.), you should be skeptical. We are to study the scriptures (2 Timothy 2:15 a). How can they study with bibles that do not even ask them to study or with no Bible at all? There is one true Bible! One Word of God! The apostasy is so strong, that many will become angered at that statement. I am not writing this to please men but to glorify God.

   The world wants you to be lazy. It will put doubts in your head and programs in your face to distract you from your work. Why do you think they are called TV programs? To program you! Turn off your TVs and work for the Lord. It will not kill you to miss your shows, I promise. As a matter of fact, you will notice a very pleasant change in your life the longer you go without it. All this may sound crazy to some. Read your Bibles, the world has always been against the believer. That is why we are told not to be of the world. 

   I know many may not want to hear this but I believe that what has made Christians so lazy in spreading the gospel these days is technology. Technology has made everything too convenient. I am a firm believer in personal witnessing. Either one on one or with a small group. With that being said, even though technology is a huge part of the apostasy, it can be used for good. There are great Bible-believing ministries online, you can stay in touch with relatives that live too far away, and you can find amazing testimonies online. However, please do not base all your work for the Lord on the internet. Get out and meet new people. When you do personal witnessing and the person comes to trust the gospel and is saved, it is a feeling you will not get any other way.

   An important part of our faith is to mature in Christ. After our new birth we start again as a babe in Christ. The apostasy has caused many to stay in this stage. Paul calls this type of Christian "carnal" (1 Corinthians 3:1). Jesus calls this type of Christian "lukewarm" (Revelation 3:16). We must grow in Christ! We must desire the sincere milk of the Word (1 Peter 2:2). The milk is the basic doctrines that all Christians should know. Then as you grow, get into the meat of the Word with the deeper doctrines and prophecy. If you grow in Christ it will be much easier to stay steadfast and unmovable in the faith.

   We need to live for Christ. We need to love as Christ loved us. We need to learn from the Word of God. We need to labor in the name of Christ. We need to look for His glorious return. Do all things for Christ and not for yourselves. "To live is Christ, and to die is gain." (Philippians 1:21).

   Let no one shake your faith. As it is written "Let God be true, but every man a liar;" (Romans 3:4 a). Stay steadfast in the faith always. There are many false gospels and doctrines set to blind the Christian. Stay unmovable in the Word, that darkness does not overtake you. Work with much joy and longsuffering. Knowing the Lord is longsuffering to usward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance (2 Peter 3:9 b).

   Repentance is a change of mind and change of heart. Changing from unbelief to believing in the gospel of the blood atonement of our Lord Jesus Christ. To repent, is to feel bad about your sins past and to put your trust into the shed blood of Jesus for all your sins (Romans 4:7, Psalm 32:1). The blood of Jesus is the only way my friends. What are you putting your trust in? It is never too late! There is nothing too cruel or evil you have done that can not be put under the blood. Repent and trust in the Lord Jesus for your salvation.