Chapter 5

I know it's super short but I wanted to end on a super awesome cliffhanger!  Sorry, my artistic / sadistic side took over >:)

Like always, please comment

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

By the time we got back to the cabin, the last rays of sunlight were disappearing beneath the horizon.  Ace opened the door for me and I walked in.  The room was bustling with activity.  It was packed full of people doing chores, making food, or relaxing.  Ace walked in behind me and we made our way to the kitchen.  A few people yelled out barely audible ‘hellos’ to Ace and I.  We reached the kitchen and found Blade and Hinda preparing a giant serving of spaghetti for dinner.  I offered to help, but they kindly refused.  Ace glanced around the room with a furrowed-brow.

         “EVERYONE!” he yelled getting the group's attention.

         “We will be eating outside today because it’s a bit crowded in here,” he said smirking.

         “Can I get some people to help with setting up tables and lights?” Ace inquired.  Immediately a bunch of hands went up and Ace pointed at the people he wanted.

         “Stay here, I’ll be back in a bit,” he said into my ear.  I nodded and he walked outside with the other men.  Hinda navigated her way to my side.

         “So I heard Ace stopped his lesson to comfort you,” she said smirking.

         “How did you find out?!” I screamed embarrassed.

         “I have my ways,” she winked.

         “So did anything happen?” she asked leaning against the wall to my left.

         “Not really, he just made me chicken soup,” I said trying to hide my blush and make it sound boring.  I didn’t really want to tell her about the crying or Ace hugging me.

         “Suuure,” she said unconvinced.  We heard a loud bang against the cabin wall and then silence.  Suddenly Blade came crashing through the door.

         “It’s HACK!” he yelled.  Everyone went silent for a second before the madness enthused.  I saw Blade trying unsuccessfully to calm everyone down.

         “Don’t panic, Ace said so!” he hollered.  Ace’s name seemed to be the magic word and everybody became quiet.

         “Ace says to not panic and stay indoors, he’s outside handling the situation.  Adults, take care of the children,” he finished and ran back outside shutting the door behind him.

No one talked, no one wanted to.  We could all hear the gunshots in the distance and worried for our comrades.  I couldn’t stand the silence anymore so I turned to Hinda.

         “What is HACK?” I asked her quietly.  She looked up at me sadly.

         “They’re, Half-Breed Assoction of Controlled Killing.  They were created to ‘control’ our ‘dangerous’ species,” she replied scornfully.  The name HACK sounded familiar, but I had never heard what it stood for until now.  I understand why their name was kept secret.  An organization made to kill. I shivered.  I went back to quietly thinking.  The gunshots finally died down and we all waited anxiously for everyone’s safe return.  We heard urgent voices approaching and the remaining men took to the front of the group ready for an attack.  The door flew open and my heart sank.  Blade burst in first and behind him Artie could be seen carrying a bloody Ace in his arms.  He was unconscious and pale.  His once blue shirt was dyed reddish purple from the enormous amount of blood.