Chapter 14

Well this is the first part of Ace's flashback to his early childhood in a government facility.  As you can see, Ace's personality was the polar opposite of how he is today.  It's gonna be a bit dark until the next chapter and if I don't finish the flashback next chapter then the chapter after that too.

PLEASE COMMENT AND VOTE!!!  It shows you care!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

         “Did you hear?  They’re starting experiments to try to enhance our half-breed abilities,” yelled out a scaled boy.  I glanced at the small group of children listening to that scaly boy, each of them having their own animalistic mutations.  I wrapped my arms around my knees and rested my head on them.  I cocked my head slightly to the side where the other kids were and listened intently.

         “More experiments?” One girl groaned.

         “My feathers still haven’t grown back from the last time they took DNA samples,” said another.  The complaints went on and on until a loud shush hushed the flurry of voices.  There was a long pause, and then the scaly boy spoke.

         “These next experiments are the real deal.  The scientists think that most of us won’t survive it,” shocked gasps could be heard and worried mumbles followed.

         “What are they gonna do to us?” A trembling voice asked.

         “Who knows?  All I know is that it’s gonna suck like hell!” The boy said ending the announcement.  I heard the pitter patter of his webbed feet as he ran past me.  More murmurs followed and I waited till the small crowd dispersed before I finally looked up again.  I didn’t like being in crowds or talking to people.  I wasn’t good at expressing my emotions and that caused misunderstandings with people a lot.  I learned that it was much easier to just stay quiet and out of the way.  Everyone had spread themselves out in the tiny, dark room that thirty of us called home.  The room had no windows, lights one light that barely worked, and was always damp from the leaks in the roof.  We were all half-breeds ranging from ages five to twelve and we all wore the same hospital gown over our undergarments.  We were lab rats, guinea pigs if you will, here to be dissected, tortured, poked, prodded, you name it and everyone here by the time they were six had experienced it.  Half of us didn’t even know our parents and the other half wish they didn’t.  I was lucky enough to not have known my parents, but every once in a while I would dream about having them.  In every dream the person was different since I didn’t know what they looked like.  But they were always the same, kind, loving.  How I even knew what these emotions were was a mystery, but nonetheless, they were ideal.  Since I had no friends, I would often get caught up in my head, dreaming about the schools that the scientists talk about, and what a football might look like.  I would often imagine what the outside world was like.  I guess that was my way of trying to avoid the life I was living.  But unfortunately my nonchalant personality made me a prime guinea pig.  I was often subject to some of the cruelest experiments out of all of the other kids because it would take a lot to make me react.  I guess the scientists would rather experiment on a half-breed that wasn’t screaming his head off or begging them to stop.

         My wing felt stiff so I unconsciously stretched it out and bumped a haughty girl with gills and a mouth full of shark-like teeth.

         “Watch it brat!” She yelled at me.  I retreated my wing and nodded in apology.  She growled and yanked me on my feet by my gown.

         “Aren’t ya gonna say anything!” She roared into my face.  There was a moment of dead silence and I knew that everyone was staring at the poor wimpy kid about to get his butt handed to him by a shark!  I took a deep breath and mumbled an apology.

         “What was that?  Speak louder you stupid bird brain,” she snickered.  I took another deep breath.

         “I’m so-“ I was cut off.  By the door to our little room opening to reveal a man around his fifties in a doctor’s coat and big, black-frame glasses.  I recognized the stone-faced scientist and my eyes widened in fear.

         “Number 005, let’s go,” the shark girl dropped me and moved out of my way along with everyone else clearing a path for me to the white-coated man.  I stood up with an emotionless expression and walked towards the brightly lit doorway.  All the while everyone was frighteningly quiet, as they all knew that the deadly experiments were starting, and I was the first to go.

         The clicking of the scientist’s shiny, brand name shoes and the slapping of my bare feet could be heard echoing through the long white hallway.  I looked down at the tiles of the floor as we walked along, getting closer and closer to the surgical room.  I watched as the doctor’s feet stopped and he opened the door for me.  Without even looking up at the sign next to the door, I knew that we had arrived.  How many times had I made the cryptic trek from our living quarters to the dreaded surgical room?  Too many to count.  I walked past him and flinched as my wing brushed against his arm.  Inside the room was two other people dressed in surgical scrubs and wearing medical masks.

         “Lay down on the table,” said the doctor that came to retrieve me at the room.  He was one of the head scientists that seemed to have a permanent scowl plastered on his face.  He often performed experiments on me, the more cruel ones.

         I did as I was told and lay on my back blinking as my eyes tried to adjust to the bright lights above me.  I heard the scientists going on about the preparations of the experiment and used this time to calm myself.  A breathing mask was roughly shoved onto my face and I was told to breathe deeply.  I began feeling light headed as the anesthetics kicked in, but I fought against it.  After a while of struggling against the drugs, my vision began to blur.  I was slowly losing my battle and the last thought before I lost conscious was,

If I died, at least I would be able to escape this hell that I was in.