My Girls rewrite.

A/N---

Right. The re-write of the first chapter is now up. Hopefully I will get enough reads or such and votes hopefully to tell me which you people like better. Please vote.

---------------------------------------

I’ve always been told, when telling a story, the beginning is usually a good place to start. It’s hard to say when that really was though. It could have been the day I moved, the day I met that boy, the day he left me on the side of the road. Maybe it was the day I first spoke to her, or the day I lost her. The day we kissed for the first time. I remember it all, perhaps not every single detail, but everything that led up to the end. To the beginning of the end.

I think I know where to start.

--

As corny as it sounds, it really was just like any other day. The same wake up by radio, the same dressing of my younger brothers, the same “be safe” from Mum. There were still the same cracks in the footpath, the same roads to cross. It wasn’t the start of the year, it wasn’t my first day, I hadn’t just moved to a new town. That had gone down a few months before. There was nothing about the day that made it stand out, made me suspect anything new would happen. Nothing.

It was your typical, boring school morning. When I look back on it now, it strikes me funny how I never realised just how much my life would change. How my perception of life would change. I was so young and ignorant back then, a fourteen year old girl playing grown up. A game I would quickly and easily lose.

There was a girl on the school grounds, that wasn’t unusual for a public school, there were more girls with her but this wasn’t any-more strange than the first fact. These girls were surrounding one other, and if the first person had been anyone else, this would have been unusual. But the first girl was Charlie.

I should probably explain a little bit about her. Charlie was a bully. Or, more accurately, she acted like one. There weren’t many people in the school that liked her as far as I knew, and perhaps that was what made her so bitter. I didn’t know then, and mostly it still remains a mystery to me now. I had only spoken to Charlie on a couple of occasions before that day, a passing word here, a passed on message there. We’d never had anything to do with each other really. That changed.

I had been going to follow the unspoken rule the rest of the students had sub-consciously set, and ignore it when the taunts reached my ear and I had known I couldn’t simply walk by. They were teasing the girl for her orientation, for who she loved. Even then, I was big enough to stand up for what I believed in, I was strong enough to hold my own against the homophobic. There was something about Charlie that made you want to leave her alone, but I couldn’t do that.