Ch.1

The weekend. The week had gone fast, I hadn't seen Jamie again, save a few glimpses in the hall. We were going to see my Grand-parents, we being Mum, the twins and me. I was looking forward to the trip. I enjoyed seeing Grand-mum, and Grand-mama and Julie, especially watching Grand-mum and Julie fight. It was always over Grand-mama.

Mum wasn't back from work yet though. She had a day shift today, and had told me she'd be home when I was. I'd been home for two hours, we were supposed to be leaving in another one hour. I shook my head and sighed. I'm gonna have to aren't I? I hate this. I stood up from where I sat on the couch and walked into the kitchen. The top shelf in the cupboard by the hallway door, held all of Mums alcohol. I pulled the step from under the sink, and stood on it. Mum needed it too to reach her liquor.

I found the square shaped bottle of bourbon, and pulled it down by its neck. Ralph liked bourbon. The bribe now in hand, I walked down to my room and grabbed a coat after changing my v neck t-shirt into a long sleeved almost turtleneck top. I didn't want to give the guys the wrong idea. I was not there for show.

I called out to my brothers,

"Rafael, Tonno! I'm going to see Mum, be back later okay?" They answered back with a muffled 'yup'. I assumed their bedroom door was closed.

I grabbed the house keys from the bench on my way past, and locked the front door behind me as I left the house. The walk was quiet, cool and quiet. It was just after five in the afternoon, not much traffic, not nearly as much as when school finishes for the day.

There weren't many people walking along the sidewalk either, for that I was slightly grateful. It also made me hella nervous, anyone could snatch me up, and noone would be around to- No. Stop it. Nothing is going to happen, that was a one time thing. One time. I told myself, wrapping my arms around my torso, Then tell me, why did it happen twice? I squeezed my eyes shut, put my head down, and kept walking, Dory from Finding Nemo filled my head.

She was my way to calm down, other than Mums lullaby song. Just keep swimming, just keep swimming, just keep swimming, swimming, swimming, what do we do? We swim, swim. I began rehearsing the script in my head, I'd been addicted the movie when I was younger, and only recently I'd found out that Ellen Dgeneres played as Dorys voice. I was so happy when I'd found that out.

I stopped walking when I noticed a red carpet, and neon lights. The lights weren't turned on, they never were. I think they were broken, but whatever. The Leaver Beaver seemed busy inside, from what I could see through the doors.

"Hi Ralph!" I said cheerfully, forcing a smile on my face. I didn't dislike Ralph, I just disliked being there.

"Hey there Cary, how you doing?" The big man shot me a smile, his beefy arms crossed over his chest, and his posture relaxing slightly.

"I'm fine Ralph, just popping in to see Mum." I expected the look he gave me. The disbelieving, 'you really think I'm gonna let you do that?' look. Good thing I brought the bribe.

"Cary, you know I can't let you in. You're only a kid, and 'sides, your mother would kill me if I let you in again." I rolled my eyes, the bottle of bourbon hidden behind my back,

"C'mon Ralph, I would hate to go to drastic measures, you know I will." I gave him my best smile, the one that had gotten me in the first time. It didn't work often anymore. Mum had told Ralph off numerous times for letting me in, and though I hated getting the man in trouble, I needed to get Mum out of working for the rest of the weekend.

"Cary." Warning.

"Ralph." I could pull off that tone of voice too. He didn't waver.

"I can't let you in Cary." I huffed dramatically, and tilted my head, sighing.