TWENTY-NINE

TWENTY-NINE

I debated on what to do first. From Rowan's mind, I knew the layout of the headquarters by heart because he did, but did I go now? Did I find Zane and tell him I – there it was again – loved him? Or did I try and contact the Claw-Cutter's? Or the headmaster or doc? Did I find Rowan to check on him and find out what secrets he was keeping from me?

As I thought about it, I knew that running off right now wouldn't do any good. I had to think first. I knew the layout, I knew what the security had been then. But it might have changed since then.

And finding the Claw-Cutter's? I'd talk to the headmaster before I did that.

Finding Zane was a must. I had to tell him how I felt, that Rowan didn't threaten anything. Sure I was bound to him, but I didn't feel anything for him... or, I didn't right now except for wanting him happy.

Finding Rowan was also a must, but finding Zane came first because I wasn't sure if it was want or need that made me want to find out what he was keeping a secret from me.

But then my searching for the pair was pointless. They were sitting in the canteen with Archie, Lucas, Taylor and Ryan.

As I entered the canteen, the usual happened, it went quiet. The only difference was that they didn't do what they usually did next: talk. Instead they watched me with eyes of awe, wonder, and fear, as I past them for the table where my friends sat.

Sitting next to Zane, I glanced at him to see his cat blue eyes already looking at me. There was a deep question in his eyes. But not even his mind gave away what question that was, and so, I looked at the others. As soon as I looked away from Zane, I was tumbling to the floor with a body following me down.

Memories of the blade with the icy whip and the raven shield rose and spat at me in the face. But this time I wasn't shackled. I could defend myself. As we tumbled to the ground, I heard a shout of denial follow us. Rowan.

Growling, I felt my canine and hands burn like a flame. Grabbing the body above me, I pushed the persons right shoulder. Hard. A yelp of pain came from the one above as they tumbled to my left, rolling with my push. Pushing myself up, I straddled the body of the shield, gripping his throat with my hand filled with claws.

Val! The voice shot into my mind like an arrow hitting bulls-eye. Stop it! You're hurting Archie!

Archie? Why was Archie with the Tri-moon's? "You betrayed me?" I asked the question to Archie as my mother had to me. I pushed myself off him and his wide shocked and tear-filled eyes. "To the Tri-moons! You betrayed me to them?!"

A body stood in front of me, blocking my view of the cowering snow leopard shield. "Val, you're not with them, you're at the school?"

I blinked at Zane. "What? No, I'm not..." I felt my eyes burn as betrayal sunk into my heart. "You as well? You hate me that much?"

Zane blinked in confusion. "What?– No! Val, you're at the school! You made it here with Rowan, you remember him, right?"

I ripped my arms away from Zane as he reached for me. I stood taller to hide my burning eyes. But it was no use as Rowan stepped forward with concerned eyes. I wasn't aware that I'd shifted into my cat form until I had to tilt my head even more to stare at their faces.

Arching my back, I snarled. They'd have to fight me to keep me here. How dare the Tri-moons take Zane and Rowan from me!

There was a sudden prick in my side. Yelping, I spun to see a dart. Snarling, I searched the room until I saw a male with two great big wings of a golden eagle holding a gun. I growled as I stepped forward... only to end up crashing into the ground. I blinked as black dots danced in my vision. No!

Vote? Comment? Thanks!