EIGHTEEN

EIGHTEEN

Walking through the corridors, I was very much aware of all the weary stares I was receiving. And it didn't help that I could feel Zane feeling the same way, it doubled the effect of the feeling. Of being a time bomb that could go off any second.

And I did. I went off at the start of the third lesson – science. One second, I was fine, talking and sharing knowledge of the subject we were studying with Zane through our link, and the next, a ripping, shredding, tearing pain tore throughout my body. It felt as though someone was peeling the skin off my body with a white-hot blunt knife.

I heard screaming. And I never wanted to hear that pain filled scream again. But I did. Over and over. And I realised that it was me, clamping my mouth shut, I bit my lip. Blood hit my tongue as I tried to withhold the pain filled, tortured scream.

The pain was...

I was never so glad to fall unconscious.

"...a couple of hours ago–"

I ignored the white-hot pain as panic took hold. Strangers!

Shh, Valerie, it's okay, I'm here. I'll protect you. Zane. I felt his skin slide along mine. Felt his hand grip mine. I calmed.

"Found out what?" Zane asked the stranger.

"Her species. She's a–"

Darkness dragged me under.

Trapped! I'm trapped!

Yanking my arms proved to do nothing as they were tied to the bed, as were my ankles. As I shifted, I felt... My eyes popped open. Needles. They were injecting something into me. What were they injecting into me?

Hearing movement to my right, I turned. Too quickly. Dizziness, and the urge to be sick arose, making me groan. When the feeling's passed, I looked back over, slowly this time.

Black hair. Zane. He was still with me. I whimpered when I couldn't move to touch him. Zane?

His head shot up and his eyes met mine. I sucked in a breath at the figure before me. He was pale, dark bruises circled under his eyes, and he was still wearing the clothes I'd last remembered him wearing. A chequered, blue, green and red over shirt that was currently undone, a black shirt and black jeans.

Valerie? Are you okay?

I'm trapped, Zane. Help me.

Pain crossed his feature's. I can't. They won't let me. A pause. I'm sorry, Valerie. You've already suffered so much, and know I've added to it. I'm so sorry. Please, please forgive me Valerie, I didn't know anything like this could happen. Please, I didn't mean to hurt you, I'd never – or, at least, I thought I'd never hurt you. But I have, I'm sor–

What are you talking about Zane? You've been helping me. It's why your still here. What have they told you?

They said that, when I'd gone to get a drink, you'd gone into a rage. So they'd had to cuff and sedate you. Even then, you hadn't calmed. You didn't calm until I was back here again.

You see, you've helped me.

But, if I hadn't bonded with you–

Whatever is wrong with me Zane, would have happened eventually, you just rushed the time-scale.

There was a lengthy silence before he spoke again.

You can't tell who's a sabre-toothed tiger until their bonded.

Vote? Comment? Thanks!