Peter (POV)

• Dedicated to Megan Pfersdorf-Hale

Peter

Get food..... Run...... SOLDIGERS! I was targeting the best house, the Berry's. They always have the most food, their son Johnson eats like a pig then the sister never eats anything so food ends up in the trash, and ma won’t let me eat out of the trash. "We may not have money, Peter, but none of us an't Crazy 'J." she would always tell me, but it’s hard to get food from houses, easier with the trash. You can’t get arrested. But you can get shot by the owners. That’s how I lost Bethany, my younger sister, 7 when she was killed. I never understood how they could kill her....

I saw the soldiers while walking back to the corn field. (We live in the middle of the corn field it gives us the most shelter.)

*What HE LOOKS LIKE: TALL. DARK SHORT HAIR. BLUE EYES WHEN HUMAN. MUSCULER.*

"It's him!" One yelled, I’ve been on their 'list' for a while. They’ve really wanted to add my family to their butcher list for a while. (A butchers list is how many people they’ve killed that they had to. not like murders.) I ran... and ran... I came to the creek that separates the cornfield from the road. It was wide, so I couldn’t jump it. I splashed threw the rock and water, some of the cool drops hit my face. It felt good in the middle of summer.

I broke through the first rows of plants, and then I knew I was safe. The soldiers would never try and find someone in here, they would get lost. But I know this place by heart; its home. I stop and empted my bag, filled with food.

Bread...

Soup....

Crackers...

And some other stuff. But I dropped my canteen in the creek; it was our water for the week.

"You back!" that’s how Bethany would greet me when I came back but because of those awful people...

"Peter."

“Hi ma" there were tears running down her face.

"Wha-"

"Your pa....."

"No." I almost fell to my knees

"I’m sorry honey it’s just you and me now...”

She pulled me into her arms. I hugged her fragile body; she hadn’t eaten in a while.

"Here, eat," I handed her the bread. "Eat you don’t have a choice, I dropped the canteen in the creek I’ll be right back."

"Come back safe." she talked odd with her mouth full, I was just happy she was finely eating something.

“I know," I mumbled.

 The walk back to the creek was long. It was dark so I went slower, following the second path to the right the one that becomes three paths half way down the path, all of this to confuse the soldiers who are 'protecting' the town. If they really wanted to protect the town they would just shoot crazy j by now.

Before stepping out into the open air I stuck my head out to make sure nobody was there. Nobody. I found the canteen completely submerged in water I tossed it into the grass near the creek. I washed off my hands and face. I was disappointed that ma didn’t come with me she hadn’t washed herself in a long time. I hurried back; I just wanted to get some sleep.

I saw the bluefish light of the oil lantern that pa found a few days ago. I tossed the canteen towards ma. “It’s full."

"Thank you peter, get some sleep. We both have to go out tomorrow.

I yawned and fell asleep under the stars.

"PETER! YOU HAVE TO WAKE UP!" Ma was shaking my shoulders but she never wakes me up early. I rolled onto my back. Ma was FRIGHTENED AND SCARED, IT WAS STILL DARK OUT.

I jumped up realizing something must be wrong.

"Run peter! They're coming!"

We ran towards the creek leaving our belongings behind. I was faster than her; I crossed the creek and ran to hide behind a tree. It was not the best hiding place but when ma comes out we can both run.

I heard a splashing sound, but it didn’t sound like feet t sounded like someone fell. I squeezed my eyes shut and prayed it was a solider who fell. If it wasn’t they would get her now. I heard a sharp tearing sound probably a musket. I held my breath trying to be as silent as possible.

"Well we got her, where’s the boy?" one said

"Who knows probably heading out of state not our problem any more then"

I turned around when I was positive they were gone. Ma was lying faced down with blood coming out of the cut, and flowing in to the creek, the creek was turning a reddish faint color.

             They ARE going to pay....

I picked up Ma's body trying to get the least blood on me , I went to our spot in the corn field I dug a deep hole with my hands put her in  it and recovered it, it took me three days. I didn’t eat sleep or drink. I went back to the Berry's house. I took their gun and stormed out. I found the one that killed my sister and shot him in the back of the head, I did the same to the one who killed pa and did the same. The ones who killed ma were walking the streets together; I shot the one on the right in the back of the head, the one on the left in the forehead (he had turned around). Then I just stood there waiting to get hit.

I was hit in the left shoulder. But I didn’t die.

"Just leave him there, he did that to us."

"Yah lets go." they left I was lying there for the night.

Somebody picked me up. Then pain was in my neck.........

~peter