Chapter 18: The Breakup?

Running into my house I slam the door behind me sinking to the floor, tears streaming down my face with my head on my knees I hug them close. “Why do you have to be married…?” I whimper with a few sniffles, breathing becomes difficult as all the pain I’ve suffered in my life comes up at once. I was crying tears that have been trying to come out for years, I stare at the kitchen in front of me as a memory from when I was younger comes to mind.

                Screams were filling the house back and forth were hateful words from my parents to each other in Spanish; the boys were under the covers in their bed like I taught them to do when this happens. “Shh, just close your eyes and think of paradise and this will all go away…” I whisper to them, being only thirteen years old myself I had to play mom and comfort them. They thought by yelling in Spanish they were protecting us since we couldn’t understand them but the damage of a broken home was too strong.

                “Go ahead and leave see if I care, go home to your bastard family!” Mom’s voice echo’s down the hall and realization that she was kicking him out hits me like a ton of bricks, I rush into the room.

                “Dad, please don’t go.” I plead the moment I slide into the kitchen, he turns away as the tears rush to my eyes, and he looks at my mom mumbling something in Spanish to her.

                “Let him go, Mija. He has another family, he doesn’t care about any of us as long as he has his white family. Hmm, what were your kids’ names?” She asks sarcastically, tapping her chin like she was stumped. “Beth and John, oh and who can forget yours guys precious Golden Retriever Chance. How American of you, so parthiodic.” She says I knew she meant patriotic but I didn’t dear correct her,

                “Dad, tell her she is crazy. Tell her she is wrong this is all in her head it was someone else…” I trail off the words getting stuck in my throat, I walk in front of him gripping his shirt tightly needing to hear the words as my world around me crashes, and he averts his eyes away again.

                “I’m leaving.” He says in the most monotone voice, with just a hint of satisfaction as though he was happy to finally say the words. I fall to my knees hugging his legs so he won’t go,

                “Daddy, please! I need you, if you love me you wouldn’t leave…please. I will be better, I swear. I will do better in school, clean my room, and I’ll practice harder to get the moves right like you said. I will become the best Diva in history…please don’t leave me. I will be good enough.” I scream out in pain willing to do whatever it takes to keep him with me, I was a daddy’s girl he knew that, at least he should take me with him.

                “No, Mija. He isn’t good enough for you not the other way around.” My mom chimes in hugging me from behind, she tries to pull me off his legs but I need to hear his reply before I’m willing to give up. Everyone knew I was the best person at changing his mind, he kicks his legs trying to wiggle them free and when his foot connects with my stomach I let go as the air gets knocked out of me.

                “Daddy…” I cry out with what little breath I have left, mom jumps up pushing him from behind.

                “You son of a bitch!” She screams punching his back, “You kicked my daughter!” he pushes her to the side getting closer and closer to the door.

                I force the air back into my lungs, “Dad, I love you! You said you loved me and nothing could change that…please. Who else will teach me to be a Diva…dad!” I yell for him one last time before he slams the door, not even bothering to give me one last glance. I crawl into a ball on the floor and bawl until I can’t find any more tears to shed.