chapter 7

Chapter 7:

I hear the faint scuff of something against the pale grey divider, and do my best to suppress a groan. I don't have to look up from the paper that I'm reading to know that it's Joey, peeking over the edge of the cubicle at me. He's back into his old routine even though its been two days since I've been back.

Sighing, I roll back in my rolly chair and look up into his bright eyes. He doesn't appear surprised at being caught. "Yes, Joey?" I say.

I prepare myself for what I'm sure is going to come out of his mouth. 'Oh my goodness Cecily, are you ok? Are you alright? I heard that you were allowed in with Subject R and he attacked you...' Blah blah blah...It's been the same from everyone in my department. People that I normally don't even associate with and/or even know came up to me with every one of those questions and then some.

Like they think I'd tell them?

Or, mainly, that I'm allowed to?

It's basically the latter. After I'd been recovered that day and was leaving, Mr.McCaulty caught me and gave me one helluva lecture on what I could and couldn't say. The few things I'm allowed to say are only so so that I can give people at least somewhat of an explanation. There's a ton that I'm not allowed to say.

I'm not allowed to describe Subject R. I'm not allowed to say which room he is kept in. I'm not allowed to explain in full what happened...And blah blah blah...What I got out of everything Mr.McCaulty told me was that I'm supposed to keep my yap shut.

 Joey keeps on looking at me, and as he does I can see his face slowly pinkening. Then he finally spoke. "So...Are you ok?"

After he spoke I immediately feel like a bitch for thinking so harshly of him. What am I thinking? Joey wouldn't do something like that to me! He's such a sweet kid, and he likes me. To atone for my cruel thoughts I give Joey an honest-to-goodness grateful smile. "I'm totally fine. Thanks for asking Joey."

I watch his face go from pink to red and wonder if that was a good idea or not.

Just as I was about to ask him if he was ok (I'm not sure he's breathing...!) I heard a ping! and I looked at my computer. I clicked on the little chat-message-thing and it came up as a message from Geoffry:

Please come to room B7 in the Left Wing please.

I felt my hands immediately go cold. Because Geoffry had been right.

The other day when Geoffry had come to the infirmiry to visit me, he'd basically said (though not with words) that I would have to work with Subject R again. Just to think about it made my stomach churn with unease. As I stared at the little message on my screen I could feel anxiety start bubbling in my stomach.

"What is it?"

Joey's voice brought me back to reality. I let out the breath that I hadn't realized I'd been holding and mentally shook myself. Don't be a baby, Cecily, I thought, coachfully. I stood up, trying to remember how to breath even.

"I've just been invited to the Left Wing," I said, attempting to be casual. The concerned looked in Joey's eyes told me I'd failed. I left my cubicle.

The Left Wing is where a lot of the high profile experiments and studies take place. Mainly top scientists and specialist work in it, working with most of our high tech equipment and best facilities. Obviously I don't go there much.

Thinking back, I think the last time I'd been there was when I'd been an intern here, running errands. A couple of years ago actually. Jeesh. As I turned down the Left Wing's corridor the anxiety in my gut was now beginning to boil, making a fuss. Just walking by a couple of other scientists was enough to make me blanch.