Chapter 11

I'm sorry :( I'm bad at updating...I'll just admit it...

But to make up for I have a picture of Subject R for you :))

Chapter 11:

I'm confused.

Not the baffled/horrified/completely and utterly panicked confusion that I usually feel when I'm with Subject R, but confused nonetheless.

He's eaten almost everything out of the box. And I mean everything.

The apple, the orange, the bread, all of the pineapple, the celery, the tomatoes, the lettuce, the sliced up cucumbers, the green onions, strawberries, the red peppers, the broccoli, the piece of bologna, the carrots, the turnips, the beef jerky....all of it.

But only after I bit off a chunk of every single thing he ate.

After he'd made me bite that first piece of celery and he given me this little sarcastic grin, I at first thought it was some kind of joke. Or a test to see how well I'd listen to him. He'd finished off the piece of celery in seconds and then had pointed another one at me. I bit of the end of that one too, and he again devoured it.

When he'd finished off all six pieces of celery he'd grabbed the container of tomatoes, and held one out to me. Still thinking it was some kind of test to see if I would listen to him, I shook my head; I don't want him to think I'll do whatever he wants (though if he forced me, I'm sure he could get me to anyway). The expression on his face had been hard to read after I'd denied him.

It had at first been calm, but once I'd shook my head a strange sharpness appeared in his eyes. And there was that smugness in it too. It was like he'd had some kind of 'aha!' moment, but then wasn't entirely happy about what he'd discovered.

I was slightly frightened. What had he thought he'd learned? On impulse I'd said, "Wait," Before he'd put the tomato down.

I took it from him and bit out a small chunk. More emotions had passed over his face but they were gone before I could determine them. He was eating the tomato before I could try and give him a questioning look.

And so for the next who knows how long, I've been puzzling over what the heck he's doing.

Whatever I took a bite from, he'd eat. I realized that anything I refused to eat he would put back, giving me this somewhat rotten smile too. I didn't get it. We're down to the last few containers: Black olives, an onion, and some mushrooms.

At the moment, he's eating all of the nuts. He doesn't have me bite off any of those, he just pops them open and eats. I'm still so confused. The last containers are foods that I positively despise, so that's why I won't eat them.

I study the nuts in the bowl; there's only about five or six left. All of the empty containers are scattered around us, empty. The last three he'd placed directly in front of me with a mean smile on his face. I frown down at the black olives, disgusted.

What do I do now? I doubt we can really learn much from this weird little happening. It was probably just a joke or a test...

Wait.

My eyes move to the nuts and then back to the black olives, and an epiphany hits. My eyes feel like they have suddenly been thrust open!

I look up at Subject R, eating one of his last almonds. How about I test you for a change?

Even if I hate black olives with a burning passion, I pluck one from the pile, making the movement showy and obvious so he's sees what I'm doing. He is immediately frozen, watching me with his iced eyes.