a sunny monday afternoon

it was nice out — a perfect day to spend time outdoors and probably eat ice cream. kuroo could use the break.

"hey, come here," you heard him call out from the living room.

the last time you saw him or even heard from him was before he busied himself with school work in the living room. with midterms coming up, both you and kuroo had a lot of studying to do. plus, he was a student athlete and had a job; he didn't exactly have the same schedule kids without after school activities did. the time he has now was to be used effectively.

"what?" you yelled back from the kitchen, setting your highlighter down and looking at your page of notes which seemed to be all highlighted, "i'm..." you scrunched your nose slightly. "studying."

from the living room, he rolled his eyes. he hated that you positioned yourself elsewhere in the house which made it harder for him to call out to you. but he understood. you could never study with kuroo. not because you both majored in different things but because he was just too much of a distraction. there were temptations and many opportunities to push work away so you often studied in a different area in the house — you in the kitchen and him in the living room. it was just your lack of self control at this point.

"not too busy for this," he continued, "now come here!"

now it wasn't that you wanted to nor that he could just demand your presence anytime he wanted. it also definitely wasn't that you were obedient to every one of his requests. it was because you didn't want to do any more homework and coming to him would be a valid enough excuse for a solid break that lasted until the next day or, if you were lucky, until after dinner. so you pushed everything aside, grabbed your phone and made your way over to the living room making sure you didn't look too happy about the situation.

"what?" you feigned irritation.

he turned to you and patted the seat beside him. "it's nice out," he brought up.

"yes, quite sunny." you made your way to the couch and sat where he patted, making yourself comfortable and snuggling your back against the couch. "you wanna grab a bite to eat? boba? ice cream? or better yet, (fav food)?"

a small smile formed on his lips at your eagerness and he chuckled, shaking his head. while you sat comfortably, he turned his back to you then laid himself down, his head on your lap and his phone already hovering over his face. "no," he said, "just wanted to lay with you."

your brows rose and you gawked at him. "you wanna stay inside? that's what you called me over for? so you can put your head on my thighs?"

he hummed, not taking his eyes from his phone. "i needed the break. and i wanted to be around you." he spoke as if it was the most obvious thing in the world.

and you supposed it was.

sighing, you brushed it off and leaned back, resting a hand on his forehead to brush his hair back. "yeah, okay, sure, whatever. i wasn't studying studying anyway."

"i know."