Chapter 2

Chapter 2

I was abruptly awoken by a buzzing, vibrating head. I reached under my pillow, violently smacking my iPhone, shutting the irritating alarm off. I rolled over to the opposite side of my body, happy to still be in my nice cozy bed, having absolutely no intentions of getting up.

What seemed like a second later, there was yet another buzz vibrating irritation. This time, it was accompanied by a song, which meant it was not that pesky alarm, but rather an incoming call. I opened my eyes at unnaturally slow pace. Once they were finally open, fully exposed to the blinding light that leaked through my window, I grabbed my phone and looked at the screen, to see that Owen was calling me.

“Hello?” I lazily said, making it obvious I was still sleeping.

“Still sleeping, Maddie?” His smirking voice said in almost a taunting manner.

“As a matter of fact, I am- or, was. What do you want?” I replied, sitting up and running my hand through my thin, limp brown hair.

“Well I’m planning an amazing dinner for me, you, and both of our families,” he said back, sounding genuine for once.

“Why, Owen? Why tomorrow? You know tomorrow is Friday, and that I have my concert on Saturday. I need at least a little time to prepare myself!” I exclaimed, smiling a little bit at my pathetic complaints.

“Because, Maddie, tomorrow is our one year anniversary. Did you forget?” He asked grimly.

I groaned, because I had in fact forgotten. “Of course,” I replied to his upsetting tone.

I heard an upset sigh on the other end. “Maddie, I feel like lately this has been a one sided relationship,” he complained, sounding genuine once again.

I swung my legs over my bed, getting ready to stand up. “No, it’s not like that, Owen. I’ve just been… busy lately,” I said, coming up with one of the lamest excuses ever.

“Oh yeah? Busy with what? You’re unemployed, you have just about no hobbies that I know of, and you sit around in your apartment most of the day watching those pathetic soap operas,” He shot back, catching onto my excuse.

“No, not like that!” I exclaimed frustrated. “I’ve just… been doing a lot of thinking.”

“Thinking about what, other men?” he accused.

“No Owen! Maybe I just don’t like the way you treat me!” I yelled, letting my true feelings out, standing up in anger.

“Of course you would blame this on me. I’ve done nothing but good to you. I take you on fancy dinners, check on you constantly, help you make friends, heck if you didn’t have me, you would have even less of a life than you already have!” He exclaimed harshly.

I sighed, knowing it was no use. “Okay, whatever. You’re totally right, and I’m sorry.”

He was silent.

“So… I guess I’ll see you tomorrow night?” I suggested, hoping he wasn’t planning on leaving me. He was right when he said he was just about all I had.

“Yeah. I’ll pick you up at 5:00,” he replied emotionlessly, hanging up.

Hands shaking in complete anger at his heartlessness, I put down my phone on my bed and got ready for my day. I stomped into the bathroom to start.

I wasn’t very good looking. I picked up a chunk of my thin, dull hair, dropping it slowly. It didn’t flatter me at all. In fact, my hair was one of the worst things about me. Then there were my eyes. They were blue, but a dull shade. Thinking about it, I really was a dull person.