Chapter 22

My hair was tied up in an interesting looking bun at the top of my head as I applied my mascara with shaking hands. In frustration, I slammed the tube of makeup shut, and tossed it carelessly on my blackened bathroom counter. I paced back and forth through my apartment, fiddling with my hands. What was one supposed to do with their hands, anyway? They're so annoying, and always get in the way.

I sat on my old reliable couch, and rested my head in my hands. I needed to calm down. This wasn't a big deal. There was absolutely no reason I should be worked up about this.

A vibration let me know that Adam texted. 

Adam Young: I'm outside now :) It'll be okay

I sighed, and let myself smile. It was as if he could sense my distress over the situation. But really, it was quite nerve wracking. I'm sure anyone would be nervous about their ex fiance's trial.

Maddie Wilson: Thanks... On my way down.

I snatched my purse from the kitchen and ran into the bathroom one last time to check my appearance. "Good enough," I muttered to myself, rushing out the door. 

As soon as I stepped outside, I knew I should have grabbed a jacket. It was, however, too late for that, as Adam had seen me and sent a wave in my direction. I smiled, and stepped further out into the cold October weather. I jumped inside his car, savoring the warmth that greeted me so kindly.

"Hey, you ready?" Adam asked, looking into my eyes. 

I looked at him and forced a small smile. "Not really."

He rested one of his hands consolingly on my arm, sending tingles down my spine. 

I would smile as the shivers and chills run down my spine when your eyes are locked on mine.

"It'll be alright. I promise. You're strong, Maddie," he assured, snapping me out of my lyric filled world.

My smile turned more genuine at Adam's concern. "Thanks," I replied simply. 

He pulled his hand away from me, moving it to the shift. He put the car in drive, and immediately we were off.

"Remember, I'm in foreign territory here. You'll need to direct me to the courthouse," Adam reminded.

I nodded. "Yeah, no problem."

He chuckled. "You know, I'm actually terrified to drive here. My heart just goes into overdrive."

I cocked my head to one side and looked at him. "Scared to drive in Milwaukee? Why's that?"

"The traffic!" He exclaimed. "There's people everywhere! You all drive so close to each other, I feel like I could crash and burn any second!"

This caused me to laugh. I had learned to drive in Milwaukee, and had never known anything different. It was different than driving in Owatonna, however. Driving there felt free, like you could speed and no one would notice or give a care. 

"I guess I'm just used to it," I said, summing up my thoughts. "Turn left at the next exit," I added. 

He nodded in confirmation as he eased the car to the left. "So all this traffic is just normal to you?" he inquired, making small talk.

"Yeah, I feel awkward and exposed driving in Owatonna," I joked, causing Adam to get that adorable side grin I dreamed about every night. 

"That's... different," he noted. 

"Take a right here," I reminded as we approached an intersection. 

We drove the rest of the way in almost silence, only speaking when I needed to direct him places. During this time I was able to think. I wondered what it would be like to see Owen again. I wondered if I could handle it. And mostly, I prayed and hoped he didn't have an amazing lawyer. He needed to be punished for his actions.