Chapter 16

"Turn. Left. Here." the robotic and quite annoying voice chirped on my GPS. I turned left, passing Owatonna High School.

"Look at the high school here, Sophia! It's beautiful!" I said, pulling over for a minute to admire it. Illuminated by the outdoor lights, the pillars looked spooky in a beautiful way.

She rolled her eyes. "It's just a school. What's so special about it?"

I shrugged. "Not sure. But I mean look at it! It looks so... majestic. And royal almost."

She laughed. "Royal?"

I turned to face her. "Hey, I'm used to intercity ghetto Milwaukee Central High School. This little perfect school here? It's freaking adorable. And I love it."

Sophia put her hands up in defense. "Alright, you're right. It's a majestic high school fit for a queen," she said sarcastically. 

I rolled my eyes at her this time and pulled back on course. 

"Turn. Right. In. 500. Feet."

"Yes, ma'am!" Sophia told my phone in a goofy manner, causing me to laugh.

"Turn. Right. Now."

"I already told you I would!" Sophia shouted in fake frustration.

I turned the vehicle, chills running up and down my spine as my headlights illuminated the street sign.

We were on Adam's street.

I didn't want to go over to Adam's alone, and he agreed it wouldn't be safe for my piece of crap car to putter down highways all the way to his house in the middle of the night. Sophia being the only local friend I possessed, I immediately asked her to go along with me. Having no life and wanting to meet a celebrity, she immediately agreed to tag along. And boy was I glad to have her with. She always made everything so comical, and kept the mood lighthearted. 

"Destination. In. 100. Feet."

Sophia squealed girlishly. "Did you hear that, Maddie? We're almost there! We're going to see your adorable boyfriend! Oh, maybe you'll kiss! Wouldn't that be romantic! Ah, I googled him. That's not weird, right? Am I allowed to google your boyfriend? Well he's cute. You picked yourself a good one, there, Maddie! You-"

"Shut up!" I exclaimed, laughing. 

She grinned. "Wouldn't dream of it."

I sighed dramatically, driving slowly to look at the addresses. Finally I found the one I was looking for and pulled in cautiously.

I was at Adam Young's house.

I sat there for a minute letting the situation sit in. I sat in complete and utter shock. My nerves went into hyper drive, and I began shaking all over. I didn't know what to do. 

Sophia sat there awkwardly. "Do you always sit and wait before going to someone's house?" she asked.

I shook head no, unable to speak. The nerves took over my entire body. I felt out of control.

Sophia groaned, and got out herself. I watched her, wide eyed, as she walked over to my side of the car. She threw the door open, and leaned right over the top of me to unbuckle me. She yanked at my arm, forcing me to stand up and out of the car. 

"Don't tell me I need to push you all the way there, too," she said, closing my door. 

I took a deep breath, composing myself. I could do this. He was just a person. People weren't that scary, right?

Okay, people were terrifying.

Especially attractive ones who sing.

Step by step, I numbly approached the door. Sophia left my side, and looked to her in a panic. She opened a door in the back and grabbed our two suitcases out. "Don't forget your clothes," she reminded, smirking.