Chapter 19

Warning: Some of this chapter might be a little confronting for some people. 

---

Chapter Nineteen

“I feel like such a fool,” Maggie whispered after Max had finished informing her exactly what was said between him and Zachary, how the man she had initially fancied had bragged to Max that if she did not comply with his marriage wishes he would ruin her and force her into a marriage. With Max’s revelations, Zachary had been proven a liar, and Maggie had fallen for his falseness. He was just as conniving as everyone else that she had encountered in Georgia. “He insisted that he had no desire for the plantation.”

“At least we know the truth. Everything is out in the open,” Max said after a moment of silence, rubbing her back comfortingly, “including Mr Lavelle’s illness,” he added regretfully. “How are you coping with that revelation?”

“I am very sad for him,” Maggie replied. “I am very sad that I will not know him for very long and I am very sad that he is ill. But, in truth, I do not know how I feel. How am I to mourn him? I cannot go into full mourning for a year for that will be longer than I have known the man!” she exclaimed. “I am worried that he will die before I am ready to forgive him for all of his wrongs towards my mother and me.” Maggie calmed herself and sighed. “I just wish we had longer.”

“Death is cruel that way,” murmured Max.

The sun had long since set and it was dark across the plantation grounds. They had most likely missed the evening meal but Maggie had not been hungry. Staying away from the house, Isaac, Joanna and now Zachary had done her the world of good.

It was not ladylike to shout and Maggie no doubt would have selected several choice words had she been in attendance at dinner.

“I thank God for you, Max,” Maggie said sincerely. “This voyage would have been too difficult for me if you were not here.”

“Do not underestimate yourself.”

She smiled up at him. “I am still grateful that we can endure the rest of this trip together. You always make me feel as though everything is going to be alright.”

“Everything is going to be alright, I promise you,” he swore. “But it is getting late and these Georgia nights are harsh. Let us go inside. You go in the front door and I will go around the back. I do not want people thinking I have kept you out here alone all this time … even though I technically have,” he said sheepishly. Max helped Maggie to her feet and together they began to walk back towards the house.

When it came time to separate, Max quickly stole another kiss from Maggie before disappearing into the night to enter the house through the back door. Maggie was left blushing as she hurried up the few stairs onto the front porch. She pushed open the front door and closed it as quietly as she could.

The house was dark but she could still see the stairs in the dull light.

“You were out late,” slurred a drunken voice.

Maggie jumped and gasped with fright. An oil lamp suddenly illuminated the dark sitting room. Zachary sat in an arm chair clutching a bottle of whiskey. There was only a few drops left in the bottle. Zachary’s usual slick appearance was now dishevelled.

Had he drunk to soothe his sorrows over seeing Maggie and Max together? Perhaps he did genuinely care about Maggie. Nevertheless, alcohol was not the tool to solve one’s problems. It only created more.  

“Mr Kincaid, perhaps you should put the bottle away now,” Maggie said carefully. “It is time to go to sleep. Shall I find a blanket for you?” Zachary needed to sleep his drunkenness off.