Chapter 4

Chapter Four

Maggie’s beloved extended family arrived for dinner later that evening, unbeknownst to them that she planned on divulging the news that she was to journey to her father’s Georgia plantation in an effort to find herself.

She did not expect them to take the news well. Like Max has mentioned earlier in her bedroom – it was very unusual and almost unheard of for an unmarried woman to venture away from her father’s home.

Maggie had decided that she would travel to Pendleton Park the next morning to speak with Isaac again. She did want to know him better and she thought his hotel stateroom would be a better environment than her father’s manor.

“Aunt Bess, Uncle Emmett,” Maggie greeted cheerfully as their butler opened the front door for them. Their new butler, Mr Lowell, had recently accepted the position at Montrose as their previous elderly butler had resigned, deciding to spend his remaining years with family in Bath. Mr Lowell was about her father’s age and was a very dedicated household leader. Montrose had never been so efficient.

“Hello, dear,” her Aunt Bess replied, leaning in to kiss Maggie’s cheek. Bess was most definitely the matriarch of their large family. Even though her grandmother Marie was older, she happily relinquished the reins to Bess. She kept them all together, particularly when it came to special occasions. Nobody knew how to make a person feel special more than her Aunt Bess.

Bess was joined by her husband, Emmett, who was supporting their nearly eleven year old daughter, Imogen, as she walked. Imogen and her twin, Alexandra, could not have been more different. While Alexandra was tall, energetic and strong, Imogen was small, weak and more often than not, very tired. She could not walk great distances without the support of either one of her parents and she could not manage the stairs at Ascot House. Either Emmett, Bess or her brother, David, had to carry her up and down. Numerous doctors, both in Derbyshire and London, had assured Emmett and Bess that Imogen was in good health, but the traumas she had suffered at birth would compromise her growth and strength throughout her life. Maggie often felt very sad for Imogen. While she could climb trees and run about the grounds with her siblings and cousins, Imogen’s strength required her to stay by her father’s side. She could see it in her hazel eyes, her little cousin felt trapped inside a body that did not work for her. She only prayed Imogen would find happiness in her future.

Next came her Aunt Rose and Uncle Derek along with their six year old daughter Grace and Max’s elder sister Rebecca. Rebecca, at one and twenty, was one of the most strikingly beautiful women that the aristocracy had ever seen. She was poised, slim and graceful. Her hair was soft and chestnut coloured and her honey coloured stare was hypnotising. Rebecca was not without admirers and suitors, but she had no desire to be married. She was far too head strong to belong to any man and financially she had no need to marry. As she and her father were American, upon Derek’s death his fortune would be divided evenly between his three children. Rebecca could marry if and when she chose. Maggie envied her for all of those reasons.

Maggie was happy to see her aunt and uncle smiling again. The dark days of three years earlier had nearly broken the heart of every member of their family. Rose had been with child for the second time and she was due to give Rebecca, Max and Grace a younger brother or sister. But sadly, Rose developed eclampsia. The symptoms were recognised quickly by Bess who was able to save Rose’s life, but not her son’s. The poor boy was stillborn. The mourning was awful as a child had not been lost in their family before young Matthew. The reality of death had become very apparent. Rose and Derek had not been blessed with another child since, but they cherished the three they already had nonetheless. Maggie did her best to care for Max during his sorrow. There had been great sadness, but they were happy again.