Chapter 10

Chapter Ten

Some used ale to aid in sleep, others used warm milk. Maggie’s sleeping potion was Max. She simply could not find sleep without Max next to her. She felt restless and those few minutes she had alone before he slipped in beside her were simply uncomfortable.

It became their routine. Maggie was not ignorant to the inappropriateness of their behaviour but she figured that as long as they were on the ocean it didn’t matter. Of course, she knew how ignorant that thought was as well but she liked to play pretend.

Max was sure to leave Maggie’s bed before dawn and well before they were called to breakfast.

For the most part, a voyage of that length could be incredibly dull. There were days when there was absolutely nothing to do. Within the first month, Maggie had exhausted every novel she had brought with her. Max was having to ration his drawing paper as he was nearing the end of his supply and would have to buy more in New York. Mostly he drew Maggie, as always. She never could understand why he didn’t grow tired of drawing her.

On other days, they were venture down to the poorer parts of the ship. It was not the cleanest, nor was the odour brilliant, but it was cheerful. Maggie enjoyed playing with the children and occasionally soothing a tantrum or an ailment.

She did get to know several of the families who were travelling in steerage. One family, the Barbers, a family from Sussex, had sold every possession they had to buy passage on Atlanta. They wanted land to farm and a better future for their five young children.

Maggie was reminded of her early childhood when in steerage. Although her memories of North Carolina were not clear, she still could remember going hungry from time to time. Both Maggie and Max often saved half of their evening meals and brought them to the children in steerage. She often felt quite spoiled when she viewed the meals as unappetising. She was used to the gourmet menus provided to the Swift family of a night time while these children were lucky to have a leathery piece of mutton. Their parents were very grateful to Maggie and Max every time food was brought.

Maggie also did her best to spend time with Isaac, and he her. He enjoyed telling her all about the plantation and its history. He seemed very proud of his ancestors’ hard work and dedication and he was very passionate about preserving the plantation for the future. Just when Maggie believed that he had more interest in her as an heiress then as a daughter, he would ask her about her childhood and her siblings. He was genuinely interested in hearing about her three siblings and he admired Maggie’s fondness for them. Maggie even showed him the miniature portraits she had of them. Isaac didn’t know her siblings as Nate had not allowed an introduction. They were too young and an explanation was too complicated.

Storm clouds were looming as they approached the shores of America. It was the middle of December and the winter time could be quite brutal in the north. But the buildings of New York City came into view a little while later and Maggie was in awe. Both she and Max were standing on the top deck wrapped in their warmest things as they watched city draw closer.

The buildings were taller than those in London. They were dark and sturdy and many of them sported flags on their rooves.

A day later, they were docked in the city and their trunks were brought down to the carriage that Isaac had hired and paid generously for.

They didn’t spend much time in New York, only enough to purchase necessary supplies before they were headed south. Maggie did enjoy the short hours they spent on the city streets. The people were a little abrasive as they went about their days and they didn’t take much notice of her, but that was nothing different to the streets of London.