Chapter 6

Chapter Six

Maggie returned to Montrose in the afternoon, albeit quite sheepishly. She knew that her parents would have much to say about her display at dinner the previous evening and the fact that she had left that morning without asking permission.

But her expedition to Pendleton Park had been so worthwhile. She and Isaac had organised to be away two weeks into September. That gave her a few weeks to gather her things and plan a journey to London. It would also give her parents a few weeks to get used to the idea of not having her around. Although with the trouble that she would be in upon seeing her parents again, she was sure they would not mind her absence.

Mr Lowell opened the door before she dismounted her horse and had a footman collect Midnight’s reins so that she could be returned to the stables.

“Milady,” breathed Mr Lowell, the suspicion was evident in his tone as if her antics had been spoken about downstairs, “you have returned.”

“Yes,” murmured Maggie as she removed her bonnet. “Where are my parents?” she asked him.

“The Countess is in the library with Master Edward, Lady Georgina and Lady Elizabeth,” he replied formally, “and the Earl is in his study above stairs, milady.”

Her siblings were obviously enduring the schoolroom while their father worked. Maggie took a deep breath. “Thank you,” she said gratefully. Mr Lowell bowed his head and Maggie started up the stairs while the butler continued about his duties. Maggie’s heart beat rapidly in her chest as she approached her father’s study. She discarded her bonnet on a nearby end table and paused at the door for a good minute until she worked up enough courage to knock.

“Enter,” mumbled Nate, his voice muffled through the solid oak door.

Maggie turned the handle and carefully entered the study. Nate slouched casually in his chair reading the newspaper while his feet were crossed atop the grand, mahogany desk. There was a fresh, steaming teapot beside his feet as well as a dish of untouched plain biscuits.

Nate lowered the newspaper and merely raised an eyebrow when he saw it was Maggie. “Margaret,” he muttered in greeting.

Maggie’s heart sunk. She knew she was in trouble. He only ever called her by her real name when he was most seriously displeased with her. “Daddy,” she replied nervously.

He raised the newspaper back up so that he could no longer see her. “Lovely day?” he asked nonchalantly.

“Daddy, I’m sorry,” Maggie said sincerely. She crossed the room to the desk quickly and she pushed the newspaper down so that she could see him. The pages creased and crumpled.

“I was reading that,” he murmured.

“Daddy,” Maggie persisted.

“What, Margaret?” he snapped, the anger in him rising. He stood up from his chair. “What do you want me to say? Go! Go and enjoy yourself!” he exclaimed sarcastically. “Travel thousands of miles away with a man you have only just met. Forgive me for worrying, Margaret, because that is what a true father does.” His emerald eyes were wide with anger, yet she was not afraid. He was the one who was afraid.

“Daddy, I do not expect you to be happy, but I would like your blessing,” Maggie pressed. “Mr Lavelle is to show me the plantation, introduce me to his wife and nephew, and then I might enjoy a few social occasions.”

“Thank God for Max,” he muttered under his breath, “for he is the only one who will see sense in all of this.”

“Daddy!” Maggie exclaimed. “Please! There are few freedoms we women are permitted. Allow me to see my birthright!”