Prologue

Dun dun, dun dun… Dun dun, dun dunnnnn…

Funny how the sound of a wedding march sounds a lot like the music they play at funerals.

Dun dun, dun dun dun, dun dun dun dunnnnn…

Oh look, Grandpa’s standing right beside Lucien. To stop him from marrying me, maybe? Psh, no, it was their idea in the first place.

It was probably to stop him from running… Yeah, that’s more like it.

Well, they got me all dressed up everything so I’m going to marry that stupid vampire if it’s the last thing I do and I’m going to make his eternal life absolutely miserable.

Dun dun, dun dun… Dun dun, dun dunnnnn…

I’m pretty sure an explanation needed, right? Well, I’ve got time since; this music is so slow and depressing I can update you on how I got to be walking down the aisle to marry a vampire I don’t even like.

Speaking of said vampire, how in the world is he standing in a church and not burning or crying for mercy or being banished back to hell by the fat priest behind him?

And what about the sun? A ray of sunlight (as if hearing my thoughts) decided to shine down on my future vampire husband.

The beam of light hit his hair and seemed to disappear in the dark tresses. His crystal blue eyes were watching me intently as I walked down the aisle. A shiver, I wasn’t sure if it was good or bad, ran through my body.

Well at least he, King Lucien of the Vampires, was gorgeous. It would make the sex easier if anything.

Wait… if he tries to bite me during sex I’m going to castrate him.

A little about me, since I’m not even halfway down the aisle yet:

My name is Paige Nicole Hunter, daughter of Alpha Damien Hunter and his mate Allison Hunter, granddaughter of Almighty Alpha Liam Hunter.

A mouthful right? I’m the first in line to be Alpha after my dad decides to retire; which shouldn’t be anytime soon since he hasn’t even been ruling for a century yet.

This was the reason I was marrying a vampire. See, the vampires and werewolves have been going at it since, like, the beginning of time. Now all of a sudden (since we’re civilized people now) the vampires and werewolves have decided to call a treaty.

But some vampires aren’t taking it too lightly, considering our history, so a political marriage was formed between the future (very distant future) Almighty Alpha and the King of Vampires.

At the ripe at of twenty in the 21st century, I should not be subjugated to an arranged marriage. But it’s for the good of the pack (insert sigh here) and as future Alpha (and in the very distant future, Almighty Alpha), I am obligated to forever sacrifice myself for them.

Before I knew it, I was standing at the front of the church, in front of the altar holding the very warm hand of my cold, dead husband-to-be. How this was possible, I didn’t know; I thought vampires were the walking dead.

I tried to convey through my thoughts to him that if he thought I was going to be some passive, submissive wife he had another thing coming. But unfortunately, I don’t have any mind powers so it was all for naught.

His blue eyes just continued to stare into my soul and I stared back, trying to figure out of if he had one or not.

He had to right? He was standing in a church and not crying out in agony.

The priest in front of us cleared his throat. I looked at him with an eyebrow raised, what did he want?

“I repeat, do you Paige Nicole Hunter take Lucien Alexei Arceneau to be your lawfully wedded husband?” the priest asked.

He looked pretty calm for a holy man who had a demon in front of him. Didn’t men like him carry stakes around with them? I’d sure be appreciative if Mr. King of Vampires came in contact with the business end of a wooden stake right about now.

After waiting half a beat, trying to use the mind powers I didn’t have, to convince the priest to stake my fiancée, I gave a sigh and mumbled out an answer, “I do.”

“And do you Lucien Alexei Arceneau take Paige Nicole Hunter to be your lawfully wedded wife?”

“I do,” he said. Was it just me, or was it the fact that he was a vampire, but he was just so damn sexy! A mental slap was in order. I couldn’t be attracted to him; it’d make me torturing his existence upon this earth hard.

“I know pronounce you man and wife, you may kiss your bride!” the priest yelled exuberantly.

Lucien made a face, as if kissing me was first on the list of Things I’d Rather Stake Myself before Doing.

I was not the kind of lady to be shunned! So I grabbed his damn, beautiful face, reveling in the surprise in his eyes, and I laid a big, wet one right on his lips.

At first, he was as still as granite but then he started to move underneath my lips and his hands encircled my waist.

My mind told my body it was time to stop kissing him, especially when his tongue swept into my mouth, but my traitorous body didn’t want to listen to me. I was enjoying this kiss way too much until a sharp pain on my lip jolted me away from his hold.

Confused, I touched my lip and when I pulled away I saw that there was a touch of blood on my white, lace gloves.

My eyes widened as I realized what had happened, “You bit me!” I exclaimed, “You freaking bit me in a church, on my wedding day, you demonic thing from the fiery pits of hell! I wish to have this marriage annulled! I want out!”

I knew at this point I was embarrassing my family but I didn’t care! I would not be married to a creature that needed blood to survive! As his wife, he would think that he had the right to drink mine but he was dead wrong… See what I did there?

I looked wildly around, looking to anyone – my parents, my grandparents, my brothers, even the priest – for help. None of them came to my rescue.

I turned back to the stupid vampire and the look on his face – as if he was disgusted! – sent the blood that was still left in my body, boiling.

I was so angry that I saw red; I balled up my fist and sent it flying towards his beautiful face. I’d knock him into next week if I could!

No one bites Paige Nicole Hunter and gets away with it!