5

Soon Klaus approached them.
"We're still trapped in here. Whatever you're going to do to me, do it now." Rebekah said, giving up.
"You said our father ruined us. And so I can't help but wonder, what if his father ruined him?" Arkyn walked away, listening in to make sure Rebekah would be okay. The gate to the cemetery forcefully opened, indicating the barrier spell had been lifted. "The barrier is down."
"I know you hate me," Rebekah said. "But what's done is done."
"What's done is never done. It remains within us, a story we tell ourselves so we know who we are. Vicious father, a bastard son, and the sister who betrayed him." He sighed. "Perhaps it's time for a new story. What is it you want, Rebekah?"
"Same things that I've wanted since I was a child. I want a home. I want a family. I want someone to love me, and I want to live."
"Then go. Go far away and never come back. We are far too damaged to remain together, less a family now than a volatile mix of ingredients. New Orleans will be mine. I will raise my child here in the city you took from me. No doubt, Elijah will choose to stay, but you? Sister, you are free." Rebekah looked at Klaus before taking a step forward. Arkyn joined her and Klaus watched them walk away.

Rebekah had asked him to wait, telling him she had some things to finish up. He nodded and passed by the restaurant he'd taken Bonnie to on their vacation. He was drinking alone when a bartender passed him another drink.
"Rough night?"
"You have no idea." He sighed.
"Wanna talk about it?"
"Just some family trouble. I thought I'd left it behind a long time ago, but lately, I seem to be getting sucked back in."
"At the end of the day, they're still family."
"Oh, I don't know." He sighed. "I think at a certain point, after a certain line, family no longer means the same thing."
"Surely you don't mean that."
"Oh, I do."
"Take it from me, sometimes you don't know what you have until you lose it."
"You lost a sibling?"
"Yeah, my twin brother."
"But you must have loved him. And you knew he loved you?"
"Yes, I suppose."
"I have three siblings and out of all of them, my sister is the only one I can count on. I love her and I'd be devastated if I lost her. My brothers and I chose separate paths a very long time ago so I know I'm lucky to have my sister, however impulsive and reckless she can be."
"That's sweet." She filled his empty glass back up. "So how long are you in town?"
"Just for the night. Picking up my sister and taking her home before she finds herself in more trouble."
"You say that like it's a regular thing."
"Rebekah has a habit of acting before she thinks."
"Complaining about me already?" Rebekah drawled from behind him taking a seat on the barstool beside him.
"Always." He grinned and she hit his shoulder playfully.
"I see you've met Cami." Rebekah said.
"You're Arkyn." Cami realised, staring between the two.
"Ark, actually but yeah. How do you know of me?"
"Klaus mentioned you." Arkyn looked at Rebekah who shrugged.
"Don't look at me, I wasn't there."
"It's a long story." She said.
"Right." He said taking out his wallet. He put some bills on the bar top and stood. "We should get going." He said and Rebekah stood, following him. "Ready to go home?"
"Not quite yet." She shook her head. "There's someone I'd like to introduce you to."
"Who?"
"Just follow me."

Rebekah led him out to the bayou, where Hayley sat in front of a bonfire. The wolf stood, seeing Rebekah.
"Rebekah, what are you doing here?" Hayley asked, concerned.
"I came to say goodbye." Rebekah said, before looking back at her brother. "And there's someone you should meet."
"Who?" Hayley looked behind her as Arkyn walked into view.
"This is Ark. My brother."
"There's another Mikaelson?"
"Yeah. Ark, this is Hayley. She's carrying Nik's child."
"Nice to meet you, Hayley." He said.
"Yeah, you too, I think."
"Ark's not like Nik... or Elijah. He's the only one of us who ever managed to forge his own path." Rebekah smiled. "I'm going to go stay with him for a while."
"What happened to us girls sticking together?"
"Well, Nik and I came to a sort of all-or-nothing arrangement. I leave town for good, and he allows me to." Rebekah explained to her. "Can't pass that up."
"A thousand years with Klaus? I guess you deserve a few vacation days." Hayley laughed sadly.
"Listen. About Nik, he is a monster. Do not ever cross him. But, he does want more from life than to just be feared. He's too broken to find it himself, but I do believe there is hope for him in the baby that you carry. And speaking of your child- our family has no shortage of enemies. She will inherit all of them. Please, be careful."
"You know, you can always come back and visit. I've been known to keep a secret or two from Klaus." Hayley smiled hopefully and Rebekah nodded sadly.
"Well, if I can't, you make sure to tell that little girl stories of her crazy Auntie Bex. And let her know, despite my absence, I do love her very much."
"Good luck, Hayley." Arkyn said softly. "To you and your child."