Prologue

As the sun set under immaculate clouds, the orange lights streamed in through large windows, bathing the room in scarlet. The little girl smiled, her luscious hair tied loosely behind her back swayed as her fingers danced on the keys like dragonflies on water. Her little face, illuminated by the light coming through the windows was sparkling with unhidden joy and happiness as she wished this moment playing her beloved instrument could go on forever. The black and white keys seemed to blur, her hands so small yet so powerful upon them. Her emotions reflected on her melody as the piano responded to her love with a beautiful tune that echoed and filled the room. The notes seemed to blossom under her skilful touches, creating the illusion of beautiful fairies flying around the little girl, mischievously picking up her hair and sitting on her lithe shoulders.

She giggled as the song finally came to an end, the smile on her face and the echo of the final note the last remnants of that precious moment of harmony. The fairies sighed in disappointment, their figures slowly disappearing as the last note sounded no more. She breathed in and out as she enjoyed the moment of silence before she positioned her hands above the keys again, the light reflecting on the dark piano an echo of her luscious black hair.

The first note sounded, yet, no other joined it as it hung in the air. The little girl stared in terror at the closed metallic door. Crimson flames licked the bottom of it, threatening to spill inside. Her little body frozen at the sight before her, the little girl couldn't do anything, her mind blank and her hands clutching tighter and tighter the fabric of the white dress she was wearing.

The sun disappeared behind her, hiding from the horrible spectacle in front of it. The room dove into darkness. Her violet orbs suddenly dark reflected swirls of fire, flames spilling in her immobile gaze. They seemed to crawl on the ground, slowly approaching her like a horrid predator hunting its prey, its razor sharp claws of scorches fleeting over the polished floor.

She knelt on the ground, her hands trembling and clenched around her ears as tears dropped from her eyes to her white dress. The flame seemed to envelop her little form in a cage of fire, the dangerous sparks jumping around her like a predator playing with its prey before the final strike. Cries and sobs filled the room, her throat seemed to be scorched as she tried to call out for help, for her brother, for her parents, for anyone.

The sound of breaking glass answered her call as she fell into oblivion.

†Ω†Ω†Ω†Ω†Ω†Ω†Ω†Ω†

The moon was high up in the sky, its pale glow like a circle of light behind him as his heavy dark cloak shifted between air blades. His black boots on the ledge of the rooftop, his back towards the vertiginous drop, his lips were smiling beneath the sharp curves of his cheekbones covered by a black mask as his eyes sparkled like emeralds under the sky. The golden flames imprinted in his orbs flowed and sprung to life under the dark night's whisper. The rain didn't seem to bother him ; rather, he appeared to bask in the feeling of fallen drops upon his covered cheeks and gloved hands, enjoying the water rolling down his coat. He was a shadow, swallowed in the darkness he wore and the world he lived in.

The girl raised her arms, the gun pointing unwaveringly towards his chest.

"You're cornered. Give back what you have stolen and kneel before justice." Her voice was crystal clear above the rain, her words harsh and icicle cold. Beneath her bloody red coat were a clean white shirt and tight black trousers, hiding muscles ready to jump into action if needed. There was no sign whatsoever that could hint to the frenetic chase that brought them both on top of the building. He smirked at her, his lips curving into a sharp edge under his mask.

"Is there any chance you will let me leave if I give the jewell back to you ?" Unhidden chuckles echoed in his deep voice and she gritted her teeth at his unreasonable question. Was he toying with her ?

"No evil shall go unpunished." Her dark purple eyes narrowed, she replied, her gaze cutting straight onto his face, wanting to see the man that was hidden behind that mask.

He smiled and jumped down from the edge of the rooftop, his boots splashing in the puddles created by the torrent falling from the skies. He slowly took off his gloves, one finger at a time, under her watchful glare, a playful smirk dancing upon his hidden lips. When finally his chest bumped against the barrel of her gun, he stopped and stared at her.

Her luscious dark hair and bloody red lips, clenched seriously in a straight line, made her look like a ferocious princess from a child's fairytale, like a beautiful and modern Snow White. Her little body that was a head shorter than him but was able to corner him through treacherous staircases and trapping rooms was tense. Finally, his eyes settled over her mesmerising orbs of darkness, of swirls of purple appearing and disappearing under the waves of obsidian. It felt like gazing at a beautiful galaxy hiding millions of stars and secrets. He felt sucked in by her eyes, an irresistible attraction cursing through his veins.

"Stop staring and give it back." Her voice cut sharply through him. He blinked innocently, abruptly pulled out from his daydream.

She expected him to return the jewell and surrender, but he didn't give her the pleasure of doing so. He suddenly pushed the gun away from his chest to the right and bent down, his lips covering her own plump ones after he swiftly lifted his mask to uncover his mouth. In shock, she didn't push him away, making him very satisfied as his eyes locked on hers, playful greens clashing with ferocious violet. This surprised look isn't so bad on her, he thought.

She couldn't process what he was doing, her mind was blank, which rarely happened. When something cold suddenly slipped into her mouth, she regained her bearings and pushed him away, fury flowing through her like a chained dragon rampaging to be released. She raised her hands and shot at him, missing him because of her uncontrollable shakings of anger. He dodged and jumped on the ledge of the roof, his mask back on, hiding his identity.

He smirked. "Stop frowning like that all the time, you'll get wrinkles too soon." He winked at her and licked his lips. "And thanks for that, tasted like apples." She shot again as anger shifted within her but didn't aim at him. It would have been for nothing if she hit him in the leg and he just fell down to his death. He waved at her and stood straight with his back to the drop before slowly falling backwards. She stifled a yelp and ran to the edge of the rooftop, gazing down at the streets below, her heart thumping loudly in her chest.

He had disappeared, a faint scent of apples hanging in the air.