12. Questions

Chapter Twelve Questions

            Bright, white light bombarded Levi’s eyes when he awoke. They shone down from the ceiling. Levi blinked several times in order to adjust. This process took too long, so he looked to his left and right instead. He saw off-white walls but not much else.

            I’m in the hospital, Levi thought. He lurched forward to fully observe his surroundings, but a sharp pain in his back caused him to lie down again. He also felt his ribs being compressed, and he found it hard to move his fingers.

            Once his eyes adjusted to the light, Levi looked at his wounded hand. A tan bandage was wrapped around it. He assumed that a bandage was tied around his torso as well. He suddenly remembered being burned by a piece of the ceiling.

            As he looked around the room, he noticed the chipping walls. He also noticed that there was no TV, no food laid out for him, no curtain, or anything from a typical hospital room. Levi began to suspect that this was no ordinary hospital room, and he was suddenly scared.

            He couldn’t run because he was bound to the bed.

            Then, he heard quick footsteps approaching. To his relief, his father appeared. Mr. Hartell looked up at the sky with an expression of relief and stuck his head out of the doorway.

            “Everyone, he’s awake! Levi’s awake!” he shouted.

            Along with his dad, Levi’s mother, Levi’s sister, Grant’s parents, Grant’s siblings, Cassidy’s parents, Cassidy’s older brother, and a male adult stranger entered the room. Levi felt like he should be overwhelmed by so much company at once, but he felt calm.

            “Where am I?” he asked them.

            “You’re in a shelter,” his mother explained.

            “A shelter? For what?” Levi questioned.

            “For the healthy,” his father explained.

            Levi didn’t understand. He felt like his parents were speaking in code. He was no longer calm, and negative thoughts flooded his brain again.

            “I don’t understand,” Levi responded, lacking his usual eloquence.

            “This is a shelter to protect people from Influenza Z. The police thought that setting the school on fire would eliminate the disease from the state. But it didn’t. Infected people still escaped. The disease has become widespread in New Jersey now,” his father explained.

            Levi’s eyes widened. “What do you mean, ‘has become widespread’? How long have I been asleep?!” Levi worried.

            “Eleven days,” his mother answered.

            “What time is it?” he continued.

            “3:13 in the afternoon. You weren’t asleep. You were in a coma,” his father answered.

            Levi began to panic, but he let serenity consume him again. He was okay now, and that was all that mattered.

            “The police officers haven’t gotten away with setting the school on fire. That was a violation of human rights,” announced the stranger.

            Levi turned his head as far as he could so that he could see the man. He looked to be in his fifties. His cheek bones were sunken in. He had bushy eyebrows that were a hue between brown and gray. His mustache also exhibited both colors, and his hair was wavy and matted.

            “Who are you?” Levi demanded.

            “I’m Marshall. I’m a firefighter, and I was the one who rescued you and the five survivors after you,” he elucidated.

            “Five survivors? As in, the five students? What about the other staff members?”

            “No. Five survivors. As in the five survivors. Those police officers really screwed up,” Marshall replied.

            Levi began to wonder who the other survivors were. Then, a thought hit him right in the heart, and a cold fear washed over him.

            “Marshall, where’s Cassidy?” Levi asked.

            Marshall didn’t answer. He didn’t look at Levi.

            “Marshall. Where’s Cassidy?” Levi repeated more intensely.

            “She’s here,” Marshall answered, still not looking him in the eye. Nevertheless, Levi let out a breath of relief.

            “Where? Can I see her? Is she asleep? In a coma?” questions poured out of Levi’s mouth.

            Marshall waited until Levi was finished before he answered.

            “She’s infected.”