7. Clusters

Chapter Seven Clusters

            Mrs. Hartell ran to the nearest phone and dialed her husband’s work number. She tapped her foot impatiently as it rang in her ear. After what felt like several ages, Mr. Hartell answered the phone.

            “Hello?” he greeted.

            “Nathan, it’s me. I’m watching the news and there are reporters and police officers outside of Levi’s school. They’re saying that Influenza Z has…” Mrs. Hartell began. Her words were interrupted by the tears that were forming in her eyes.

            “Oh no…” Mr. Hartell said softly.

            “I don’t know how Levi’s doing. They’ve locked all entrances and exits so no one can get in or out. I need you to leave work right now and meet me in front of his school, okay? I’m gonna go get Liliana,” Mrs. Hartell announced, swallowing back her sorrow.

            “Okay. I love you,” Mr. Hartell answered.

            “I love you too,” Mrs. Hartell reciprocated before hanging up. She took a deep breath, looked at the TV one last time, and grabbed her car keys as she made her way to the garage.

                                                                ●●●

            By the time Mrs. Hartell and her daughter arrived in front of Lakeview High School, there was an enormous crowd. The mass of people consisted of mostly reporters, but many parents and siblings of the student body stood in front of the school as well.

            “Let me know if you see Daddy, okay?” Mrs. Hartell told her daughter. Liliana nodded and clung to her mother. They both swam through the sea of people, desperately trying not to drown.

            Suddenly, Liliana shrieked. “I see him!” she shouted, pointing to the back of Mr. Hartell’s head. The two girls ran over to Mr. Hartell and hugged him tightly. Once Mrs. Hartell let go, she squinted to see what was happening at the front door. Three police officers stood, barricading the entrance. News reporters and angry parents tried to force themselves through.

            “Please! We need a few shots of what’s going on inside that school!” a reporter demanded.

            “Let me in! I have to see my son! I have to know if he’s okay!” a mother screamed.

            The officers obstinately remained in front of the door, as more people crowded in front of the school, wondering what was happening inside.

                                                                ●●●

            In the hallways of the third floor, Levi, Grant, and Cassidy utilized their new pocketknives by slashing their way to the staircase. They defeated any Septics twice as quickly as they normally would have. Soon enough, they were standing before the staircase, which was packed with helpless students and teachers, as well as hungry Septics.

            “This is insane!” shouted Cassidy.

            “Yeah, there weren’t nearly this many zombies when we were here before!” added Grant.

            “How are we gonna get past here?” Levi asked.

            “We have knives. These will help us. Stay close and stay calm,” Cassidy directed. Her two friends nodded unsurely.

            As soon as Levi placed a foot on one of the steps, a Septic dressed like a teacher lunged at him. Levi stabbed the Septic, causing it to roll down the stairs. It knocked over some Septics and innocent people trying to escape. Grant and Cassidy followed behind him, killing any Septics that would challenge them.

            A young student sat in fetal position on one of the steps as he whimpered. Soon, a Septic jumped at him. Cassidy noticed and used her pocketknife to stop the Septic. The student looked up slowly and then looked at Cassidy. He thanked her far more times than she would have liked. In response, Cassidy merely curled up the side of her mouth and kept moving.

            The three friends had made it to the first landing of the staircase, but they still had more steps to cross until they reached the second floor. The landing housed several Septics, some of whom were feeding on staff and students.

            A tall man in a button-down shirt ran at the trio. Grant lifted up his knife to stop the man. The man sensed Grant’s motion and held up his hands, waving them wildly.

            “No, stop! I’m not a—” the man began, but it was too late.

            Grant swung his knife and it landed in the man’s chest. He fell limply at the end of Grant’s weapon. Instantly, Grant realized what he had done. He threw the knife away from him while screaming relentlessly. The sudden noise attracted the attention of the three other Septics on the landing.

            “Grant, go get the knife!” Cassidy ordered. Grant’s screaming turned into tears as he tightly hugged himself. Two Septics ran at him, while the other one continued to feed on someone else.

            Cassidy skillfully stabbed one of the Septics in the neck, causing it to collapse. Levi prepared to attack the second one, but tripped over one of the bodies on the floor. His knife skidded across the landing, just out of his reach. Frantically, Levi looked around him, pleased to find that there were no Septics dangerously near him. However, he heard Cassidy scream.

            “Cassidy!” Levi instinctively shrieked. He jumped up to look at his friend, but he saw that she wasn’t in any peril. Her shiny brown hair still rested on her shoulders, although it did so rather haphazardly. Her face was still clear, minus a few scratches and stains. Her eyes were still blue and her cheeks were still rosy. So why did she scream? Levi wondered.

            Cassidy pointed in front of her. Levi stood up and looked where she was pointing. He backed into the wall at the horrid sight.

The Septic that had escaped Levi was feeding on his best friend.

            Levi slumped and closed his eyes. He used his rough, bruised hands to cover them so he did not have to face reality. Tears ran down his cheeks and through his hands. Over the sound of his hopeless crying, he heard two thumps and the sound of metal. After this, silence ensued. Levi lifted his head and looked around with wide, green eyes. He saw a sea of bodies and the Septics and students on the stairs just below him, but they all seemed to move in slow motion.

            He looked up, and saw Cassidy standing over him, with a single tear rolling down her right cheek. She handed Levi his knife with the handle facing him. Once he took the weapon, Cassidy bawled intensely. Levi found this sight rather horrifying, almost more terrifying than anything else he had experienced that day. He always regarded Cassidy as beautiful, and now, standing before him, she appeared hideous. Additionally, Cassidy was the strongest person he knew, and now she was crying in front of him.

            Suddenly, a chilling thought caused Levi to perk up his head. “Cassidy, we can’t stay here and mourn. Remember what happens after people get bitten? They—”

            The sound of growling ended Levi’s sentence. Levi and Cassidy turned to see Grant rising with large, white eyes, and pale, sickly skin.