6. Crime-Fighting Trio

Chapter Six Crime-Fighting Trio

            Profusely, Septics emerged from all corners and crevices of the room. Levi recognized some of them as the blond boy and his friends. Aside from their distinct facial features, Levi could also deduce this from the pocketknives in their hands.

            Grant noticed the weapons wielded by the Septics. “You don’t think they still know how to use those, do you?” Grant asked.

            “I don’t intend to find out,” Cassidy responded. Following her words, the Septics lunged at the trio from all angles.

            “Get the ones with the knives and take their weapons!” Cassidy ordered as she stabbed two Septics at once with both of her scissors. Unfortunately, she struggled to remove the scissors from their bodies as another Septic ran toward her.

            Grant, who had just finished closing a textbook on a Septic’s face, saw the danger that Cassidy encountered. He threw the textbook away from himself, clutched the backpack, and used it as a battering ram as he shoved the Septic to the ground. This allowed Cassidy enough time to remove her scissors and continue fighting.

            Meanwhile, Levi quickly discovered that his binder would not support him forever. Frequently, after Levi would swing the binder at a Septic, the pages inside would sway and tumble. Sometimes, the rings would open, leaving Levi vulnerable. On multiple occasions, Grant or Cassidy would have to come to his rescue.

            After decking a Septic in the neck with the binder’s spine, Levi called to Grant, “Do you have anything useful in that backpack of yours?”

            Grant set his bag down to search for an item that might be useful for Levi. However, taking advantage of his distractedness, a Septic ran at him.

            “Grant, watch out!” Cassidy warned.

            Just in time, Grant lifted the backpack. Nevertheless, the Septic leaped on top of him, so that the only barrier between it and Grant was the bag. The Septic’s stark blond hair flailed as the monster stuck out its neck and made several attempts to bite Grant. From the hairstyle alone, Levi recognized that the Septic was the boy that had killed Reed.

            “Help!” wailed Grant, turning his head so that he did not have to look at his attacker.

            Levi looked at Cassidy hopefully, but she was fending off the last few Septics with her scissors. Since there was no immediate threat to Levi or his binder, he decided to aid his friend.

            Levi smacked the Septic in the face with the binder, sending him spiraling into a nearby potted plant. The Septic’s fall was similar to Reed’s. Unshaken, the Septic quickly arose, letting out a bloodcurdling screech. It lunged at Levi as Grant stood up to help his friend. Levi stuck his hand out to indicate that he did not want Grant’s assistance.

            “No. This one’s mine,” Levi announced with determination.

            When the Septic neared him again, Levi responded with another swing of the binder, causing the blond boy to stagger backward. Overcome by fury, Levi kicked the Septic in its torso. Cassidy, finally finished with all of the Septics, gasped at Levi’s momentary lapse of reason.

            “Levi, are you crazy?! Don’t make contact with them unless you have a weapon!” she scolded.

            “Well, Cass, I can’t kill anything with a binder. Throw me your scissors,” Levi replied.