Chapter 27 - Oh Shit...

Natalia's P. O. V

We studied till the sun fled the sky, Hailey noting everything she thought was important and me soaking up the information like a sponge. Comfortable silence reigned, only broken when there was a term Hailey couldn't find the meaning of and had to ask, or when one of us had to use the bathroom. I'd finished my book a little before dusk and was currently writing up a summary of what I'd read, completely immersed in my task till her stomach growled.

"Sorry, I guess my appetite's caught up to me." She said, apologetic, stretching in her seat then caught sight of the time on her phone screen, "Whoa, it's late! How did the time pass so quickly?"

I stood, stretching out the stiffness from my joints, "I guess we should find something to eat."

She glanced at her book, only a little more than a quarter of it left unread, then her stomach growled once more. We laughed.

"Yeah, I think that's a good idea."

Together, we made our way to the kitchen without turning on any lights since, as werewolves, we could see well. In the kitchen we flipped on the light and the one for the storage room.

"I made some granola bars yesterday. You can have some of those while I look for what we can whip up. They're in the fridge."

"Alright, thanks." She nodded and migrated, in search of them.

I went into the storage room and scanned the ingredients present. It was a good thing I'd gone grocery shopping that time, "There's some leftover spaghetti from this afternoon but we can have a sausage, tomato and mozzarella melt done under fifteen minutes if we hurry."

She swallowed what she was chewing as she came into the room, handing me a freshly microwaved bar, "I can already taste the goodness from its name. Tell me what to do so I can help."

"Alright, there's some ciabatta and mozzarella in the fridge and there's leftover pasta sauce in the freezer compartment. I can make the sauce while you top the ciabattas and put them in the oven."

As I grabbed the ingredients, she stared quizzically, "Do we really need that much? We're werewolves so I know we eat a lot but I don't think we can finish all that tonight."

I laughed, "I know, but I like to make extra so that there are leftovers if I ever feel too lazy to cook." Shooting her a look, I added, "It comes in handy for surprise visits."

Her cheeks pinked and she let out a laugh laced with realisation, "Now I get why you were in such a hurry to get rid of us that day. You didn't want us to see your hand heal itself. I thought you'd stopped liking us cause of what Keily did." She paused, "But what was that thing you did with your voice?"

"That was my wolf talking with me."

"It sounded scary but so cool in hindsight. How did you do it?"

We carried the ingredients to the kitchen countertop, "I don't really know. That voice thing and half shifts are things usually reserved for Alphas and some strong Betas and Lunas."

She nodded, "I read about that in the book. But since we're technically from an Alpha bloodline, it makes sense, right?"

"It would if I'd shifted, but I haven't so half shifts and the voice thing should be impossible for me."

"It's obviously not. Maybe your genes from Clark mutated with the ones from your mom. You said you didn't know what she was. Maybe you're the chosen one. Or we're in an anime series and you're the MC. On another note, we need to stop calling it 'the voice thing'. How about we name it... Alpha voice?"