[ 18 ] .---- ---..

The lights slowly faded out, engulfing the theatre along with the red baseball cap in darkness. The black screen flickered before fading into a wide aerial shot over the Pacific with ominous music playing in the background.

“A contract killer never gives up,” the voiceover spoke “and never says goodbye.”

I plunged my hand into my deluxe popcorn, readying myself for 2 hours of absolute nonsense. Gah, what kind of actor would watch their own movie?

“Hmph such unrealistic expectations, who do they think we are? Babysitters? ” I snorted.

Henderson who sat to my right, being the ass that she is, never ceased to disappoint me with her snide remarks.

“Shut up.”

~

It was exactly 5 minutes past 10 when we left the theatre, and began stalking our next target as she left in haste to her car. After much debate we decided that tonight’s would have to look like a suicide, because to be honest, it’s rather hard trying to hide a celebrity’s body without anyone knowing. Even for Jones.

Departing the movie complex, Henderson and I walked together under the moonlight keeping watch on the woman in black with the red baseball cap who was a few paces in front of us.

Leaning closer to her ear, I whispered “You stalled the car, right?”

“Of course, it shouldn’t be going anywhere anytime soon”

“Okay, you hurry and finish up here. I’ll bring the car,” I stepped away from Henderson for a moment before pausing. “Be careful with the fingerprints on the knife.”

“This isn’t my first time”

Smiling, I walked away swiftly before turning around just in time to see the red baseball cap disappear into the car.

“Goodnight”

~

It had been a year.

Kneeling next to the stone grave, I placed a single black rose on the ground before closing my eyes. I thought about what it meant to be alive, and how Thames had left us.

The week before last, I went to visit Thames’ wife. I hated doing it, but I knew she needed closure. The closure she hadn’t received still after a year.  She deserved a new start, a new beginning that wasn’t riddled with lies. We shouldn’t get involved in relationships, we can’t. But Thames did, and I’m sure up above, he never stops regretting it.

I felt the wind sweep over my hunched figure. It wasn’t a soft, warm breeze; it was a cold, sharp chill. I thought back to when I first met her three years ago, I guess the circumstances could have been better. Our orders were simple. Eliminate defence lawyer Sara Parker.

Well, that could have gone better…instead of killing her, he fell in fucking love. And look where he is now.

I realised how sentimental I was getting and shook the thought from my head before Henderson could call me soft.

“You done?” she sighed.

“Yeah, you done?”

She glanced at the device in her hand and pulled out her earphones. “I tapped into a phone call she made to her friend. She’s in San Francisco.”

“She’s where?”

“You heard me”

Curse my darned life.

“Looks like it’s time for a good old road trip” I said, failing at trying to disguise my, ahem, displeasure.

“Oh fucking joy”