[ 12 ] .---- ..---

Yo Peeps! Wow, I updated before a week was up :P Amazing, innit? Hehe... well enjoy! (>.<)y

Dedicated to @Bella_Marie_89 for the amazing banner on the side :) Thanks a ton!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Click. With the door locked shut tight, I gradually began my advancement towards her. She walked backwards slowly, cautiously; one perfectly pedicured foot behind the other. Now with her back up against the cool-room wall, she looked up into my eyes, smiling. Smiling almost too sweetly.

“Miss Iris Row” My heart skipped a beat.

“Miss Sharni Silva” I said, matching her monotone.

“Please feel free to take the credit for this kill” The eff is this girl saying?

“What do you me-“Suddenly, the flash of a knife’s blade appeared in the corner of my eyes. Shit.

I stepped back defensively, sliding my own out from under my apron and raising it to my face swiftly. Big mistake.

The long silver knife whirled around in her fingers before plunging itself into some flesh. 

Her own flesh.

She was still smiling as her back started sliding down the wall, blood gushing furiously out of the deep stab wound in her chest. Just god-damn creepy, if you ask me. Grasping the knife handle and mustering whatever energy she had left, she pulled the blood-stained piece of metal out. Dark, thick blood oozed out twice as fast now. Still smiling, her eyes slowly became glazed and out of focus. She was dead.

Well that was easy… It was close to closing time for the restaurant now, so instead of trying to cover it up (which was far too much work in my opinion), I figured it would be easier just to dump the body somewhere. I pulled out my phone and glanced at the time. 9:45. Fifteen minutes.

Sighing, I joined my dead companion on the floor, sliding down the wall beside her. Goosebumps covered my arms and legs, not because I was sitting next to a dead body, no, it was ‘cause I was in a freaking cool-room. Why must I be so dumb? Pulling out my phone again, I tapped the screen a few times before placing it over my ear.

“Yo Jones, I’m gonna need your truck…”

***

Hearing the familiar low rumble of an engine, I walked out the back of the restaurant with the body slung over my shoulder. Spying the black truck parked in the back corner of the car park, I headed towards it. As I dumped the body on the back of the pick-up truck, I felt something crinkle under my hands, something inside her apron pocket. A paper. A note.

“Hang on a mo, Jones!” I yelled towards the front end of the truck. Grabbing the sides of truck, I pulled myself up and over into the back. Quickly rolling the lifeless body on its side, my fingers began untying the apron.

“Yo Iris! We got trouble!” The sound of a police car’s tyre’s skidding around the corner with its sirens wailing, entered my ears. Shit, this was a ‘mafia-requested’ kill… I could do without the paper-work…

“Drive!” I shouted back, jumping down from the back and hoping into the passenger seat. Jones revved the engine, and we were off.

***

My neck craned around to face the back of the truck. “Looks like we lost them.”

He turned to face me “Of course, who do you think I am?”

I snorted. “Pfft, yeah, whatever… you’ve been arrested like 30 times in this month alone”

He laughed “You talk too much, maybe it has something to do with the fact that your name spelt backwards says ‘Siri’,” I rolled my eyes. “Besides, I do it on purpose”

“Yeah sure” I crooned. A blurry, yellow ‘M’ sign flew past the window. “Whoa, whoa, back up a sec… drop me off here, I’ve got some stuff to do…”

“By ‘stuff to do’, you mean ‘stuff my face’?” Blithering idiot.

“Shut up, just drop me off…” I smiled.

He pulled up on the side of the road with a sharp right swerve. “You sure you’ll be right alone?”

“Of course, who do you think I am?” With that I turned on my heel and began the small walk back to the Maccas, marvelling at my own cleverness. Until I remembered about the note. Crap, the apron!

I spun around like a ballerina on steroids to face the black truck that was just about to enter main traffic again. “OI JONES!” I yelled, sprinting towards the truck. “YOOOOOOOOO! WAIT, WAIT! STOP YOU MORON!” My arms flew around like a washing machine on steroids now.

When I finally managed to catch up with Jones, he was laughing so hard that I think he was bordering on insanity. When he finally decided it was time to speak, he said “You looked like a giant chicken!” What the hell is with everyone and giant bloody chickens?

“Yeah okay, I admit that. But I really need that apron” I spoke slightly out of breath, pointing at the black lump on the passenger’s seat.

He sighed as he passed it to me through the window. “Take care” I smiled in response then turned towards the big M once again.

After ordering a Chicken Burger meal, I took a seat facing the window that looked out to the busy road beyond the glass pane. Stuffing my hand in the woman’s apron, I took out the mysterious little paper folded thrice. On the top, it read- “Iris Row”. Fumbling with the edges of the paper, I managed to unfold it. On the bottom of the page, there was a map with the location of a hall indicated. But above that read-

“~INVITATION~

To Miss Iris Row,

You are invited to a dinner dance, hosted by Cyanide Agency.

The dress code is semi-formal.

Please bring a partner of your choice along on the night.

We hope to see you there!”

Cyanide Agency. The woman’s agency. But more importantly, it’s the agency that’s suspected to be the cause of Thames’ death.

Thames’ murderer will be there.