Chapter 12 (Part 2 of 2)

Myla's P.O.V.

It almost feels like fate. Like someone planned it this way. That the toughest to handle, the hardest to swallow, the one that will be the most emotional, is the very last one before I go home.

Out I walk onto the stage. It's concrete, and slightly dusty, with a set of stairs up either side. Up in front, is the microphone with its stand. I walk up to it and look out into the crowd in front of me. A sea of people. People in grays, whites, charcoals and dark blues. People wearing the only fancy outfits they have, trying to look nice for the occasion. Only three people are in black. I don't look at them too closely, but I already know who they are.

I touch the top of the microphone with my left hand, and pull it out of its holster. I bring up to my face, my breaths becoming faster and more shallow. I'm nervous. My mind goes blank. I had a plan, a specific speech I would say. It's gone now. I look around, panicking, when suddenly I make eye contact with one of the people in black.

It's a woman. Sort of tall, shortish brown hair, glasses and kind eyes. Just looking at her gives me comfort. I look back out into the crowd, readjust my hands on the mic, and start to speak. "Hello, District 12. I would introduce myself, but I'm sure you all know me." Some people do nothing, but one little boy shouts, 'you're Myla!' and is then shushed by his parents. "Let's just get straight to the point. None of the lies, the nonsense, the fluffy stuff made up for the Capitol. I know I'll get in trouble for this, but I don't care. I'm doing this for her." The crowd looks at me. I see the woman look up at me, and give a small smile. "Allison was a gift. A wonderful, beautiful, smart person. I felt lucky to be her partner, and maybe even her friend. Anybody who knew her knows what I mean. She wasn't meant to be apart of this." I take a shaky breath. "If I could have saved her, seen the future before my eyes...Allison...Allison would be standing here and not me. I would have gladly taken her place, just so she could be here. Safe and sound." I watch a tear fall from my cheek and land silently onto the stage below me. Beside my foot.

I look down, eyes closed.

Then, I take a deep breath.

I let my breath come back out into the world in a puff.

I look up at the sky.

Eyes open.

I look back out at the crowd, and then out at the family in black. There's the kind woman from before, and she has her arm around a small blond girl, who is just staring blankly at the space in front of her. Next to her, an older lady who looks just as kind as the brown haired woman. She's smiling sadly at me. I take one more deep breath and speak one last thing into the silence. "Allison's family," They all three look at me "if you need anything. Anything at all. Please. Let me know. I'll be here to talk. No matter what." Before I am taken away, ready to be yelled at by the shadow, I kiss my three middle fingers on my left hand, and lift it up to the sky. Slowly and surely, everyone in the District does the same. I smile as my tears fall.

Then, the doors close. It's time to go home.

I prepare myself in front of the train doors, a small bag in my hand. I just can't believe I'm here, the place I thought I would never see again. My home, District 8. I'll see my mom, my friends, if they are still my friends, and I'll see Nini. That's what I call my grandmother.

The train movement slows until it comes to a full stop. I hitch the bag over my shoulder, fidgeting my feet into some golden sandals my instructor had given me as a present a few minutes before. I hear in the distance, among some other noises I can't make out, a voice over some loud speakers saying, "And now, back from the Capitol, we present to you, the Hunger Games Champion, Myla Ross!" The train doors slide open, I step out into the sun and am met with a loud crowd on either side of my path, kept in by a barricade. The sun hits my face, causing me to lose my vision for a second, but after my vision adjusts, I see everyone. All my friends, neighbors, past schoolmates, teachers and workers I knew from the dye facility my mom works at. I start to walk, making my way through the crowd, and suddenly, I feel like I'm not there, I'm just observing. Observing people jumping up and yelling my name in joy, as I walk by. I'm just in a dream. A fuzzy, nostalgic, sun-soaked dream. It's almost as if nothing ever happened. As if I wasn't here because of the death of 11 people. Real people.

After a while, I see my mother standing behind the barricade separating me and her. As I pass by, she catches me in an overwhelming hug of pride and love. I enjoy it in the moment, wrapping my arms around her, letting my bag fall to the ground. But deep down, I know I don't deserve it.

I let go, and pick up my bag again. I just hear over the crowd, my mom saying, "I'm so proud of you." I smile and start to walk again, when a realization comes to me. Where's Nini?! I look back from where I came from, but all I see is the crowd from before. I look where my mom was, but now she's gone! I start to panic. Where is she?! Where could she have gone?! Why isn't she here?! I feel a tug on my left sleeve, and turn quickly to see an Avox. He looked familiar. That's right! He was the one who met me and my instructor at the station in the Capitol. His face is blank like before, and he nods his head in the direction towards the end of the path. I'm still worried about Nini, but I have no idea where I'm going, so I decide to follow him.

After about five minutes walking down an avenue I've never seen before, past houses that could rival the Capitol's, we make it to my new house, number 143. I know I should be excited, but I don't care. I just want to see my Nini. The Avox finally lets go of my arm, which he has lead me by for the past few minutes. He nods to me frankly, and goes back the way we came. I look up at my new front door. It's glistening white, even in the dimming late afternoon light, and right below some small glass windows, there is a polished lion's head door knocker. I lift my right hand up and knock once. I stand there, in the dark and silence for a few seconds. It's almost serene. I hear footsteps, and suddenly, someone opens the door. I am met by a figure, who I expected to be another Avox, or a designer or something. Instead, I am met by...my Nini. Her eyes fill with surprise and joy. I feel my heart soar. "...Myla?" My eyes start to fill with tears, happy ones for the first time today. "Yeah. It's me, Nini." She smiles wider than I've ever seen before. I throw my bag to the ground and embrace her with the best hug I've ever given. After about a minute, Nini takes my bag and I walk inside after her.

We stay up for hours and hours. From 10:00pm to 1:00am, talking at the dinner table about anything and everything. Every moment in the arena, every bit of fear, panic, betrayal, happiness, sorrow and anxiety, I shared with her in the span of three hours. Tears were shed, mostly by me, while Nini handed me tissue after tissue, giving me hugs when I needed it. Finally, it was time to go to bed. Nini offered for us to stay in the same bed, since we had different bedrooms. I told her I could just sleep in my bed. I told her I'd be okay. But, as I lay in my bed, wrapped in what should be comforting blankets, staring into the dark abyss, I realized I should have slept with Nini, and in that moment, I knew that I would never be okay again.

For, how could anyone ever be okay after surviving the Hunger Games?

THE END