Chapter 11

AavaA's P.O.V.

There were only four tributes. Four tributes left.

Me, Myla, Jasper, and Naya.

But as I look back at Myla, and she looks back at us, I realize... Jasper is dead.

Did she kill him? She must have.

I look over at Naya, wondering what we're gonna do. She looks over at me at the same time. She leans in and whispers, "Just follow me, ok?" I'm a little confused, but I trust her. I nod. She gestures for me to take off the backpack, I do so and hand it to her. She puts her left arm through the straps and holds it up in front of her face. She looks back at me. "Three, two, one...go!"

We run out as fast as we can towards the Cornucopia, and I see just behind Naya's makeshift backpack-shield, that Myla is running towards one side of the Cornucopia and hiding behind the outside of the right wall. We do the same, but on the other side.

We stop and hit our backs against the metal wall. Naya puts down the backpack on the ground and starts to peak around the wall. She adjusts the sword in her hand, but ignored it, it didn't seem out of the ordinary. It should have tipped me off. "So," I start to ask, "What are we gonna do about-" Naya swerves around just as quick as she did on Canyon, her sword swinging.

Somehow, with the blood pumping in my veins,

the adrenaline rushing through my body

and the fear and realization that Naya was betraying me, I pulled out my sword

and caught her sword right before it hit my chest.

CLANG!

Naya was shocked, fear rising up behind her eyes. I pushed forward and shoved Naya to the ground. She crawled backwards, adjusted her hands on a different part of the sword and swung at my feet. I jump over it and swing at her neck and she ducks it, but before she gets away, I step down, put my knee on her stomach and hold her down. I hold my sword to her neck, ready to make the final blow...but something... stops me.

Naya looks at me in the eye. Frightened, anxious, pleading. Pleading for me to not do it, and I realize that...

"I can't kill you, Naya. You're my partner, my friend. You may have tried to kill me, but I can't do that to you. I know you only did it because of these games. These...awful games. I'll spare you Naya, because I refuse to be apart of this mess." I lift the sword away from Naya and get off of her. She sits up slowly. I definitely left a bit of a mark on her. She smiles at me, a thankful smile. I smile back. "Thank you AavaA, and I'm sorry. You're right. I only did it because of the Hunger Games." "Well, I forgive you." I give her a side hug and turn around. But before I take a single step, I hear the sound of metal, shifting and suddenly, the sound of...an arrow hitting its target.

I turn around just in time to see Naya, a sword positioned to stab me, an arrow sprouting through her neck. She falls to the ground, dead. Behind her, standing in the middle of the field, is Myla, her bow in her hands after just shooting an arrow. Myla looks up at me right as the cannon goes off.

BOOM.

Silence falls between us like a silk curtain.

Twenty seconds have passed.

I get the courage to talk. I gulp, grip the sword in my hand and speak.

"Why did you kill her?"

Myla steps forward, dropping her bow and placing it over her shoulder. "She was gonna kill you. I couldn't let her kill you after you spared her life. She should've been grateful." She takes a few more steps forward. She is about thirty feet away from me now. "I won't kill you either." Myla says. I step back.