Chapter 6

Allison's P.O.V.

I wake up to the sound of very loud birds, mocking-jays I think they were, and to some rustling next to me. I sit up, my blanket of moss and some vines falling off of me. My back was a bit sore, but that was to be expected after sleeping on the dirt floor. I look around where I had heard the rustling, and saw my partner, Myla, was looking through our backpack, grabbing a piece of soft inside bark I had gotten from a tree, and some arrows for her bow.

Yesterday, our plan had gone just as we had wanted. Since I had been closest to the forest, I grabbed one of the backpacks nearby and ran off into the woods. Myla had apparently had time to grab one of the two bows that had been there, and a skinny rectangular pouch of 12 arrows. Then, we met near a giant dark green bush right near the entrance of the forest. Myla had told me that she had almost had an encounter with Jasper, since he was the only one to go in the Cornucopia. But he obviously did not want to fight, so they went their separate ways peacefully. But we still wanted to be on guard, so as we looked for a place to sleep for the night, Myla had her bow out and ready to shoot someone. Luckily, we didn't have to kill anyone. We almost ran into Buna and Celia though, I had seen them by the pond that we had planned to go to, so we quickly turned around and ran before they saw us.

Finally we had found a grove of trees that were more tightly knit together then the rest, so we went in the middle of the small grove, set down our pack and while Myla got some moss to make some beds, I gathered food, like berries, small plants, like Miner's lettuce, and the soft inside bark of a tree, which Myla was currently eating for breakfast. So that night, we laid down in our moss beds, underneath the tight canopy of trees, and tried to fall asleep through the death count and the loud Capitol's anthem. Eventually though, we did fall asleep.

Myla finished chewing her bark, and started to gather her bow and arrows. I got up and sat down on a log right next to her. She was a bit startled at seeing me, and I immediately apologized. "It's fine." She said, sitting down on the log as well. I look at her. "We need to make a plan for today. I still don't have a weapon, so we'll need to sneak back to the cornucopia to grab some gear." "I agree." Myla said. "When should we go over there though?" "I think as soon as possible. Most of the tributes will probably be gathering food, or finding water, so we'll have a chance to go in and out unscathed." I answer. "Are you sure about that?" Myla asked, as she played with her bow string. "Some other tributes might have the same idea. You never know what might happen." I think for a moment, then look back at Myla. "What other choice do we have? Some people might not even be awake yet, so if we go now, it will be very unlikely we will see someone there." Myla looked a bit on edge about this, but after a minute of silence, she got up, slung the pouch of arrows over her shoulder and nodded her head. "Ok, lets go."

We walked as quiet as we could through the forest, being careful not to step on branches, leaves, or anything that could make noise. After five minutes or so, we had made it to the edge of the forest. I see the open field, with all of our pedestals still standing there, in a perfect half moon shape around the front of the Cornucopia. I look over to the front of the Cornucopia, where I think Ella died, but she wasn't there. The Capitol must have airlifted her body yesterday. I look over at Myla as we hid behind some bushes. She looked at me and nodded. I looked away and slowly crawled out from behind the bush, and scanned the forest and field around me. Not a soul in sight. I start speed walking out into the arena, until it turns into a full out sprint. Luckily the grass was short and hid the sound of me running. I hear Myla running behind me, and I knew she had her bow out, ready to strike. Then, we made it safely to the mouth of the Cornucopia. To the left of the entrance, I saw blood splattered all over a spot of indented grass. They took away her body, but they didn't even bother to clean up the mess. I quickly turned away in disgust and looked behind me to see Myla, who was holding her bow downwards. "Ok." I said. "You should go towards the back where the weapons are, I'll look for other gear, and maybe some food." Myla started to walk into the Cornucopia, then she turned. "Are you sure? I'm the one who has the weapon. What if-" "I'll be fine. I didn't hear or see anyone. Don't worry about me." Myla still looked a bit nervous, but she nodded lightly and started to look in the back for weapons. I walked towards a row of chests and started to open some. They had air-sealed packages of dry fruit and jerky, they had animal hide, heat-reflective blankets, little easy to set-up tents, and more rope. I started to gather up some dry fruit, a tent and some blankets, when suddenly I heard someone behind me.