Chapter 34. Letters

Song: Sleeping With Sirens. Scene Three: Stomach Tied In Knots

Chapter 34

I stayed in bed for the next three days, Harry didn’t leave and Stella came and went with work, Danielle and Eleanor came by to see how I was doing and brought ice-cream and girl movies for the afternoon, they told me Niall wasn’t doing much better and he really wanted to talk to harry but the boy wouldn’t leave my house until I was up and around. So on the 4th day, I got out of bed. Harry and Draco were downstairs eating breakfast in the kitchen.

“Stella went to work” Harry said as I entered the kitchen “I stayed behind to look after you guys”

“Don’t you have work?”

“Cancelled for today” he said, feeding Draco a spoonful of porridge “No one’s up for it”

“What do you mean?”

“Zayn was out all last night, Louis just got back from Holidays, Liam has spent nights on Niall’s lounge and I don’t think Niall’s getting out of bed” Harry sighed and looked over his shoulder at me “No one really wants to leave their apartments”

My heart clenched in my chest. Liam had spent all night on Niall’s lounge, which meant he spent last night comforting Niall and Niall wasn’t getting out of bed. I bit my lip to keep myself from making a sad noise and sat down beside Harry.

“I feel so bad” I whispered, head in my hands “I can’t believe I said that stuff to him”

“You felt that way, it had to be said, and so did the thing he said, you guys were going to bust up sooner or later if you didn’t say it”

“That doesn’t make me feel much better Haz”

“You’ll get back together” he muttered “He loves you; he’s not going to leave you after a stupid fight”

I looked up at Harry and Draco and my heart sunk a little further in my chest. Draco thought Niall was still around, how I was going to explain that Niall wasn’t around anymore to a two-year old was beyond me; it was hard enough to explain that Pat had died.

“Mama” Draco smiled, porridge dribbling on his chin “Morning Mama”

“Morning baby” I smiled

“Where’s Daddy?”

My smile dropped. “Um, he’s, I…” I chocked and looked at Harry for help

“Uncle Ni went home” said Harry, kissing his forehead gently “It’s just Mummy and me today”

“Okay”

I shook my head and stood up from my chair. “I need some air” I explained and Harry nodded as I walked out.

I stood on the front steps of the house, and took a deep breath, holding myself up with my hands on my knees and head down, hair falling over my face. I swallowed a sob and cleared my throat, breathing heavily through my nose. My entire body felt like it was slowly dying. I couldn’t believe the overwhelming emotion, I couldn’t imagine that it got any worse; and then I looked up.

Niall was standing on the footpath out the front of the house, Liam behind him, leaning on the car that Louis was in the front seat of. He looked terrible, his blonde and brown hair was everywhere, his eyes were bloodshot, there were deep purple bags under his eyes and his lips were split and dry. He was wearing a baggy jumper and loose jeans, which looked too big for him. Everything looked too big on him.

“Niall” I gaped

The boy walked up to me slowly, steps lagging in excitement like they usually did, and it was like he was the walking dead. In his hand was a small parcel and a single flower, he stopped a few steps from me and stretched his arm out towards me.