Chapter 33. Late Night Phone Calls

Chapter 32

Harry’s POV

I carried Riley upstairs and tucked her in bed. Draco was still asleep on the lounge, but I had decided to leave him there until Riley was calmed down and asleep so there was no chance of waking him. Riley had broken down in tears after Niall left and it only got worse when I guided her past the living room to the kitchen and it was on the late night news, only minutes after happening.

“Why did I tell him to leave?” she whispered tiredly, curled up in the blankets of her bed. I stroked her hair gently and brushed the tears from her cheeks with my thumb “I didn’t mean it” she hiccupped “I didn’t mean it, why did I say it?”

“Shhh Riley” I whispered “I know, He knows, I’m sure he knows you didn’t mean it, just call him up tomorrow”

“No” she groaned “I didn’t want him to leave but everything I said was true, I can’t- I can’t accept that Pat isn’t Draco’s father, I just can’t”

“You accept it, what’s changed now?”

“I never accepted it Harry” she cried “I was so excited that Draco found someone to be his father figure and then I would go back and remember that he’s not Niall’s kid, the things he says and does, he’s Pat’s kid and I hate it”

“Because you want him to be Niall’s”

She nodded into her pillow, tears rolling down her cheeks. “I want him to be Niall’s kid and he’s not, he’s a mistake with a guy that never cared about us, Pat never wanted a kid, that’s why we broke up, because we had different opinions, because he didn’t want to be a dad and he wasn’t”

I frowned. Riley had never told me why the relationship with Pat ended, she had never told me about any of their couple arguments or arrangements or agreements, nothing about anything that went on behind the door of their house unless I was there. I had never really understood why she couldn’t accept Niall as Draco’s dad when Pat was so horrible, according to what she said.

“What are you talking about Riley, what do you mean Pat never wanted to be a Dad, he loved Draco” I whispered

“No” she shook her head, eyes drooping in tiredness “He didn’t, he didn’t want me to go through with the pregnancy”

“He wanted you to get an abortion?” I hissed

She nodded tiredly. “I want Niall to be Draco’s dad but I can’t accept the fact that someone can love us as a family like that, Pat didn’t love me and he didn’t love Draco and Niall does…” she paused “Niall did, no one has looked at us like a family before, we’ve always just been ‘Riley and her son Draco’ not even you, no one has ever loved Draco and I together, not until now and… and it scares me Harry”

“Why riles, why does it scare you?”

“Because people leave me” she whispered, eyes closing gently and her hands grip loosening around the fabric of her pillow case “People leave”

She didn’t say anything else after that. I stepped out of the room quietly, closing the door behind me and then I made an effort to tuck Draco into his crib and put on his CD to make sure he was properly asleep. Most of the paps had left after Niall stormed out but Paul had arrived a few minutes later to officially clear the yard.

Neither Draco nor Riley made a sound for the 10 minutes I stood in the hallway so I decided to go back downstairs. It was almost 11pm and the day was dragging on, I just felt like energy had drained out of me. I had just sat down when my phone rang in my pocket.