14

It was around 4 when I got done running. Even after I pushed myself and my legs were killing me from running almost... what, 4 miles? 5? I didn't keep track, which I usually do.

I had sat and relaxed in the bleachers for a while, trying to figure out what to do. I really wanted to go to Tera's for dinner tonight, but I didn't want to go against Flower's order.

There was something off in her attitude earlier. She acted like she had something against the people and they barely have been here but a week.

I stood up and gathered my stuff and started the walk home. I had to go tonight. I had to find out as much as I could from them. But most importantly, for her.

I smacked myself in the back of the head. Stupid movie quotes. 'Most importantly, for her'? Are you that classic?

I rounded the corner to my street and looked to see a crying Brooke, covering her eyes and sobbing, slowly walking down the same sidewalk as me.

I stood still, watching her as she approached. She uncovered her eyes for a second, and that pain in her eyes subsided, turning into rage. She stopped in front of me, eyes full of tears but a glare that spelled anger. "You have a really shitty brother, you know that?" NOW you see it?

I was curious though. "What happened?" I asked.

She sniffled, looking down and tears starting to drop. "He left me for that new girl." She put her hands over her eyes again. "He said that she would treat him better than me and would have better features in a relationship than me." She suddenly leaned into me, her face falling right into my chest. "I just want to be appreciated."

This was awkward. She was touching me, looking for someone to support her. I hadn't ever had this happen before. My tank top was sweaty and it made me feel strange having someone lean on my sweaty body.

I won't lie, I felt bad for her. Brooke wasn't a bad girl. She just hangs around the wrong kind of people. She's honestly a nice girl. She always put up with my brother's crap and stayed by his side. She always treated me good, actually. It always pissed Zane off.

"What do I do?" She mumbled in sobs under my chest.

Joke? "First, you gotta take a shower."

She jumped back and gasped. "Oh my God! Do I really smell that bad?"

I panicked. "No! That's not what I meant! It was a joke." I fanned my tank top. "I'm sweaty from running, see? It was a joke." Bad joke.

I stood there, awkwardly. Finally, I just looked at her. "Just give it time. Maybe you'll find someone else. Someone new?" This was all the advice I could give. I hadn't ever had to give advice like this.

She closed her eyes and shook her head. "Thank you for trying, James." She leaned in and kissed my cheek, walking around me and continuing down the sidewalk. She only lived a few blocks away. She walked to the house sometimes because Zane didn't want to 'waste gas on her'.

I continued down the sidewalk and crossed the street to the other sidewalk where I was met by Tera, walking with her earbuds in. She was wearing blue jean shorts and a tank top. I bumped into her by mistake.

She looked up and smiled. "Oh, hey." She said, taking out one of her earbuds out. "Funny bumping into you like this. Must be fate or something."

I smiled back. "Or maybe I'm stalking you." I wanted to cringe so bad. I wasn't use to the flirty jokes yet.

She laughed. "I'm the predator. I do the stalking in this relationship."

I looked at her outfit. "Funny seeing you without your biker gear. Guess you're not scaring unsuspecting teens today."

She punched me in my chest. "I only scare the false brave." She looked down. "This is my lazy outfit. I'm gonna change before tonight."

I gulped. "Yeah... about that..."

She raised an eyebrow. "You better not tell me you can't come." She sniffed, and folded her arms. "You better have a good reason for smelling like sweat and another girl. Wait." She came closer, sniffing my cheek. She leaned back where I could see her, and she had a look that could kill. Literally, it was that scary.

I took a cautious step back. "This where I explain things or die?"

"If you don't explain things quickly then you will die."

I explained what happened with Brooke, giving as much detail as possible. She waited for me to finish with arms still crossed and a serious look on her face. Finally after explaining, she let out a sigh. "Poor girl." She said. "Your brother is really stupid. When that whole cafeteria scene happened, I could sense she wasn't bad." She was referring to her first day in our school.

"She's not the brightest for being with my brother." I admitted, rubbing the back of my head.

She uncrossed her arms. "So what's the reason for not being sure on tonight?" She asked.

I sighed and admitted the whole other situation. I told her who exactly Dancing Wildflower was and what ties she had to my family. She stood there and gave slight comments on her. She respected the way I described her, and some of the comments were sort of calling her too strict.

"I could sneak over." I told her. "She usually goes home at around 6. I could take a shower before then and stay until she leaves." I usually liked to take long showers. It cleared my mind.

She nodded. "Sounds like a plan." She leaned in and kissed my cheek (on the other side). "I'll see you tonight." She put her earbud back in and continued down the sidewalk.

I made my way back home finally and hopped in the shower. I was sweaty, don't get me wrong, so this long shower would have happened with or without plans. After washing up, I stood there for the rest of the time being, deciding on what to wear.

.........

It was 6:30 when I was dressed. I was in a black button-up dress shirt that should've came with a jacket and dress pants, but those disappeared to God knows where. Instead I grabbed some nice looking dark jeans and pulled them on.

I walked out of my room and made my way downstairs. Mom was sweeping next to the front door and looked up at me, and she cracked a smile. "Don't you look nice. Where are you off to?"

I blushed a little. "Just going to meet this girl and her Dad over dinner." I didn't wanna lie to Mom. She trusted my judge in character and knew I wouldn't get myself into any trouble. But this time, I wasn't going around just anyone. I was going around werewolves, and I'm pretty sure she would forbid me from going if she found that out.

She stopped sweeping and looked at me in a surprised manner. "A girl? Really?" She had an amused look on her face. "You found the right one, finally?"

I grinned a little. "I think so. But we haven't been talking for long. Tonight I'm gonna get to know her and her Dad better."

"You're going to Charlie's, aren't ya?" Dad, who was leaning against the doorway of the living room, asked. "His girl really is a tough one. Maybe she'll put a little fight in ya." He laughed.

"Leave him alone, Jacob." Mom told him.

"Oh come on, I'm kidding." He said. He looked at me. "See that? That lady," He pointed at Mom. "She's the reason I keep my guard up every day. She's so abusive."

Mom jabbed him in the stomach with the broom. "Keep on, and I'll sweep you off your feet. Literally." She threatened with a smile.

He smiled and looked at me. "She's a real keeper, James. Treat her right."

"Yes, sir." I told him and headed out the door.