6

"She's from a criminal family, dude!" Sage whisper yelled, his textbook laying open on the table where we sat in the library. "Can't you tell? That rough appearance, that tough personality. Her dad is probably lifting weights on a prison yard right now!"

I sighed in annoyance. "No dude, she's not from a criminal family, and her dad lives with her at home. She's just not used to all of this yet, and she's taking it in."

Kai smirked. "Aren't you the psychiatric professional today?"

"I'm just saying that it's not easy being the new kid." I put my head back down and focused more on the open book. We had a test in trig at the end of the week, so we have to soak in as much as possible.

Sage continued. "How do you explain those scars? She has to have been-"

"Fights." A rough voice answered from behind me. I felt two hands on my shoulders and knew that instant who it was. "Battle scars, I like to call em."

Sage's eyes flew wide open, as if he weren't expecting her to overhear. "I-uh..." was all he could get out.

She laughed and came to my side. She took off her leather jacket, revealing the tank top she was wearing underneath, her tan skin almost so perfect. Almost.

Her arms had scars of cuts, holes and other deformed areas that looked sort of like burns. She pointed at each one.

"This cut is where this one guy pulled a knife on me." She pointed towards the hole and laughed. "This one is where she had her dog attack me."

Sage wasn't sure what to say or do. He just stared in pure awe, as if he weren't expecting her to be so cool with telling us about the scars. I won't lie, I really was shocked myself. I was even more shocked that she had survived being this tough. Especially with the other scars she had and the stories behind them.

She put her jacket on the table and cocked her head left, then right, until we heard the pops that made even Kai cringe in discomfort. She noticed our reactions and laughed a little. "Wimps." She said.

"Excuse me." The old lady, Mrs. Bradford, the librarian, came up behind her, her short body having her stare up to Tera. "I know you're new here, but it's not very polite to talk nor strip in the library. Please take a seat or leave."

Tera's smile faded into a small but evil grin. "Yes ma'am. As you wish." She picked up her jacket and slid it on, then came up beside me where there was an empty seat. Terry hadn't come to school today, so I thought she'd take the seat. That was until Tera noticed Mrs. Bradford still staring a hole through her.

Tera chuckled a final laugh, and in a whisper. "As you wish." Flop. I was truly and utterly not sure what to do, because I hadn't ever had this happen before. She was sitting in my lap. What was she thinking? Was she out of her mind or just wanted to spite Mrs. Bradford and get in trouble? She turned with that same smile and leaned further back. "Oh come on, my love, wrap your arms around me like you always do." She grabbed my arms and wrapped them around her waist. I felt the hard stomach that she kept that probably was from exercise.

Mrs. Bradford's eyes were wide and angry. "How dare you!" She said in that old English accent she had kept. "Go straight to the principle's office, now!" She demanded in a semi-loud voice.

Tera shrugged and stood up. She stood and waited for Mrs. Bradford. But Mrs. Bradford had something else in mind. "BOTH of you." She glared down at me.

I felt my eyes widen and I stood abruptly with confusion. "What?!" I almost yelled out. "Are you serious?"

"Now!" She demanded once more, sending us both out through the door without so much as even allowing us to grab our bags.

.........