Model

"And next we present a newcomer: Miss Via Dos. Although she is from a humble background, Miss Dos is good friends with Miss Royce and assists at the company of a family friend of the Royce's."

Taking a deep breath and reminding herself that she was doing all of this as a favor to her friend, Via stepped out into the ballroom, bowing respectfully to the judges present.

As Via stepped into the room, a series of gasps could be heard.

Not only was she the only one there not from an influential family, but Via was also dressed unlike all the other women there.

Instead of the required unpractical skirts and gaudy makeup and jewelry, Via wore a simple lilac suit. Her dark hair, which was usually tied up, was let down in her natural loose curls.

While it was clear that Via pulled the ensemble off incredibly well, the other participants, laced up in tight skirts and painted in layers of expensive makeup felt wronged when they saw her.

How was it that this girl who had no wealthy background and until this day was unknown in their social circles could suddenly break all the social customs without facing any punishment?

The participants, smiling politely at Via asked themselves this question over and over again.

Meanwhile, in her simple white heels, Via stepped down the stairs and made her way to her seat.

While she did not care for the opinions of the people around her, except for that of Molly of course, Via was frustrated at how rudely they treated her.

If these are the future heirs of some of the most influential corporations of our nation, what does that say about the future of the rest of the people?

And this was exactly the reason why Via wanted to avoid such places.

She understood that etiquette classes are meant to teach young adults, born with immense influence ethics and humility, but the camp she was at was clearly doing the opposite.

Not only did the staff give the most powerful heirs leeway over anything they wanted, but those with less wealth or status were constantly belittled.

What's more, the females, in comparison to the males, constantly obsessed over material items, rather than focusing on their education.

Of course as, not only a girl, but a 30-year-old woman, Via knew the pull such items gave young girls.

When placed in an environment in which your looks can dictate your entire future, children quickly learn about what is truly valued.

Thus, once reaching her seat, Via sat down without complaint. She did not hate the young women who looked down on her.

How can I hate someone I understand? Via thought to herself.

. . .
"Now I have exciting news for you ladies. There is a new event coming up and. . ."

Via listened with interest for the first time as the camp coordinator gave their announcement.

For the past two weeks, all she had done was learn to sit up straight, and which forks were right for certain salads. Via found the activities so dull that she even wished to be back in school.

Finally something actually useful, Via thought to herself in relief.

As it turns out, the new event was a contest between the participants at the camp. 

Aside from knowing the ways to greet people, the utensils to use, and the right posture to have, participants in the etiquette camp also learned about how they should dress.