15

1 year later.

I on the side of Romes bed, writing a letter to my mother, I finish and lick the glue of the envelope and seal it.

I pick up Rome who lays next to me on the bed and hold him close to my heart.

Suddenly there is a weight on the bed behind me a presence, and it feels like hands are wrapped around my chest.

Rome, I hear a whisper in the air.

"I love you."

"I love you more."

I don't want to cry, I don't feel sad, I am not angry.

I am happy.

Rome is waiting for me, and I have a life to live with my son.

Rome.

24 hours are in a day, I am no longer a slave to what if's

I live

I go out later that, day and find the old woman sitting in the bus-house.

She is wearing a cut-up t' shirt, and oversized jeans, I see the perspiration on her forehead, her hair sticking to her face.

I get out of Romes car and walk over to her when she hears me, she opens her eyes and crouches back into the bench trying to make herself oblivious.

"Excuse me, ma'am, can I talk with you?"

I sling Rome on my shoulder and walk over to her without her consent.

I sit on the bench and look at her, she looks at me and a tear falls from her eye.

"What is your name?"

She stares detached at me, her eyes are grey they don't move.

"My name is Rhema."

"Hello Rhema, my name is amehr and I am interested in hearing your story, how long have you been homeless?"

"15 years amehr."

She looks at Rome and something flashes across her face, maybe recognition.

"What's his name," she says sitting up.

"Rome."

"That was my son's name."She says, a smile on her face.

A tear drops from my eye.

"You know him?" She says with passion in her voice.

"Yes," I say choking back my tears.

"Listen Rhema, I have a house that was originally for sale at one hundred fifty thousand dollars, but I think you should have, it and live there, you don't have to pay anything everything works in the house, and here," I say handing her the address to the house and the key, here's a chance to turn your life around, get you off the street and be better, but please don't contact me ever again, don't look for me and don't thank me, thank god."

I turn and walk to the car and stop, I turn and toss her some money, maybe $10,000, maybe $1000 I don't know but I walk to the car and buckles Rome back into his seat, and walk around to get in, I glance at Rhema who sits in awe, I don't know what she will do with this opportunity, but I hope she uses it for good.

I think about getting out of the car, and hugging her, her saying something more, but my time is over.

I will raise my son by myself and love him and when its time for me to go.

I will meet Rome and lay with him and rest, watching over my son and the world.

No regret.

No remorse.