The Beginning

I was sitting by my mother, with tears blocking my vision. Then I could see the bright, flashing lights of police cars and ambulances, followed by us being separated. Seeing them taking her away and having my last moments with her end like that was horrible. Next thing I knew, I was sitting in the back of a police car with a blanket over my shoulders and police men chatting in the front. They were probably talking to me, but I couldn’t listen to the monsters who took my mother away. I was too in shock to even listen in the first place anyway. Then I came self-aware after one police woman opened the police car door and said my name a few times as she waved her hand in front of my face. “Yes?” I asked softly. I couldn’t see her through the tears that kept blocking my view.

She kneeled down by the door. “Do you know where your father is?” I shrugged because I actually didn’t know. I never met him and mum and I never spoke of him. Not because he was a monster or anything, he just never came up in conversation. “Is he not with us?” she asked with a look of sympathy which was obviously fake. I then shrugged again and she looked a bit confused. “When was the last time you saw him?” she asked.

“I never did.” I said looking up at her with tears still streaming down my face.

She nodded and then whispered to one of the cops, in which he nodded. “Do you have any close family members? Like an uncle, aunt, or grandparents?” She asked holding a notepad in one hand, and a pen in her other hand. Again, I shook my head. It has only been me and my mum this whole time, I didn’t know I needed anyone else. “How old are you Cecily? And do you have any siblings?” She asked as she wrote down my answers to the last questions she asked.

“I’m five, and no, it was only me and my mum. No other relatives. We never talked about my dad, I don’t think he’s dead, but you never know.” I said as I wiped my tears with the blanket and then took a deep breath.

She nodded. “Okay, so Cecily, we are going to go back to the police station to figure out where you’re going to live, okay?” She said looking at me with yet another fake sympathetic look on her face.

“I suppose that would make sense, you can’t exactly just leave me here.” I said as I was looking at the sidewalk where I was last with my mother.

The police woman smiled. “We would never do that,” then she got up and closed the car door. She then told the police men in the front to drive to the station.

On the car ride there, all I could think about was my mother and how I’ll never see her again. I cried so much that I had no more tears to cry out, so I just looked out the window, reminiscing. When we arrived, one of the police men open the door for me and I stepped out, still grasping on to the blanket. The cold winter wind helped with the redness on my face from the crying. We stepped inside the warm station and everyone was staring at me. They told me to sit down on a bench and that they promised they were going to find my dad. They said they were going to run DNA tests with people my mother was recently with. Soon a man in a lab coat came up to me.

“This might pinch a little bit,” he said, acting like I’ve never had a shot before. Needles don’t scare me, they never did. So while he was taking a small blood sample I didn’t flinch, cry, or complain. I sat perfectly still and waited for results because I really just wanted to leave as soon as possible. I don’t enjoy being the center of attention. If anything, I like to fly below the radar.

Soon I heard someone yell. “We’ve got a match!” This was followed by everyone scurrying to the computer with excitement, then with confusion and shock.

I could hear some people talking. “That can’t be!”

“There must be a fault in this bloody system.”

“I could never imagine him being in any sort of relationship.”

 “Well, at least her father isn’t dead.”

 “Are we sure we should leave her with him?”

“Well, he doesn’t have a criminal record.”

“But he is absolutely mad!”

“And she’s his daughter!”

I didn’t know how long their faffing was going to go on, so I decided to just go up and ask as if I didn’t know already. “Did you find him?” I questioned, with a sad face hoping it would convince them to let me leave.

“Yes we did,” one lady said with a wide grin.

“Well, may I go see him?!” I asked with fake excitement in my voice. They all looked at each other and whispered until one police man picked up his police car keys, and escorted me out to the car.

((This is my first fanfic and i hope you enjoyed, I will be putting chapter 2 out on November 10th :) thank you so much for reading! ))