VOICE/FRAGMENT: 'The Interview' [7XP]

ZACK COLLINS, Division Developer on 'Green Garden' Project
@Immerverse by Taze Walker

I'd waited over half an hour, when a geeky-looking, male avatar in a brown leather jacket, a friendly face and faded jeans 'materialises' artfully into the plush, supertech-infested virtual building and 'shakes' [IDs] my hand without an explanation. He later apologises [a phone call he had to take] but the problems lie elsewhere, and in the tone now set for the meeting. It's going to be all open, informal – and briskly rehearsed. As a specialist VR reporter I'd really been hoping for the opposite; i.e. someone more willing to divulge, elaborate - and let slip a whole lot more answers.

For there is much talk surrounding the mystery - or lack of hype - and presence of a 'new' game-world that exists here in the Spiral and is accessed - 'wonderfully' - by its advanced interface. Was I able to extract any fresh news or info? Maybe a little. I did what I could anyway, diving straight to it with my first question...

TW: So what makes Green Garden ('Fountellion') different from all the other worlds we've seen appear inside The Spiral?

"Ok, well... firstly... there are going to be differences...[We 'sit' and a quiet forest scene calmly renders around us.] Primarily, with the degree of immersion - the in-world movement and control. This has perhaps been our largest, most challenging (and most dangerous) area in development because it's a central part of the whole plan for 'Green Garden'. We're pushing the Spiral Interface; using its full, previously dormant capabilities, but we're also pushing the necessity to reach an 'ultimate' balance of 'attunement' to the fabric; one without consequences; without side-effects. And yet reaching to new levels of involvement."

TW: It still sounds... riskier than before? Are you sure that's what users want next from The Spiral - at this time?

"Sure, it's a perfect time... I mean...I'll tell you what,.. [A glass renders in his hand and he drinks but the drink could be anything in reality.] ...Why don't I ask you something... "

TW: Ok...?

"Have you ever - as a kid - had a dream where you were... flying?"

TW: Ok yes, I reply. I have.

"And when you woke up... were you...disappointed?"

TW: [After a moment]....Yes...?

"Well, let's just say... we don't think players will feel... too disappointed here. We're trying to raise the level of games 'as games', to games as dreams, maybe. Is that risky? It may always be, to an extent. But people do want dreams... and these come in all fantastical shapes and sizes...[Zack's voice sounds older than his avatar looks, because he seems so able to choose words without haste. Why would he be hiding his age? To present a more energetic image?]

...and on the subject of risk, I should be clear that such a balance is nothing final, nothing specific. But it has been fine-tuned... And it goes as far as any actual 'balance' is... possible with a 'virtual reality'; with, effectively, dimension-making hardware that attempts to replace or simulate an existing one - our Source reality evolved in us over vast lengths of time."

[He pauses to drink again. So far, his manner has convinced me he's not an avabot at least. But it's still early.]

"I mean, just talk to spacemen about gravity, I suppose. How do you prepare for weightlessness? How do you make a super-reality 'perfectly' super? People must be prepared, and prepared to adapt..."

TW: Is that something you'd say to the latest 'victims' of the Spiral?

"I can't completely enter into that now. For one thing, each victim has been quite unique...."