Part 11 - Connecting

Lili didn't sleep that night. She lay awake, listening to Jennifer's even breathing and the little sounds that a star ship makes.

At 0400 hours, as always, the alarm went off. To her ears, it sounded like a bomb had been detonated. She cried out and very nearly fell out of bed.

Jenny rubbed her eyes. "Hey, Roomie, how are you feeling?"

"Don't, don't ask," Lili got up.

"Here, I'll get up, too, and I'll walk you to the galley," Jenny offered.

"You don't have to."

"I want to. Lili, we're friends, right? So this is what friends do for each other. They are there for each other."

"Thanks." They hugged. Lili remembered something. "Are you dating Aidan now?"

"Yes."

"Didn't he miss you last night?"

"I guess," Jenny shrugged, "but he's okay with it. He agreed it was a lot more important for me to spend time with you."

"You're the best." Lili was overcome, and started to cry again.

=/\=

At the galley, Jenny tried not to hover. "Maybe make something cold," she suggested, "and without anything you have to cut."

"Toast? Hmm, Jenny, there aren't a lotta options."

"I know. I just don't want you to cut or burn yourself accidentally." Or deliberately, Jennifer thought but did not express aloud.

Lili loaded up the huge toaster with several slices of different kinds of bread. She then opened up the refrigeration unit to get the jam jars out. Lifting the blueberry jam, she dropped it, and the glass shattered, strewing fragments everywhere.

She bent down, picking at the pieces with her bare hands until the skin on her fingers was shredded from rubbing against the numerous fragments and there were scrapes on her palms and wrists. Still knelt down, she began to wail uncontrollably.

Jenny quickly came over and noticed Lili's bloodied hands. She flipped open her communicator. "Sick Bay!" she yelled, "We need help!"

Phlox was in Sick Bay, looking in on the two Ikaaran women, who had slept in decon overnight. "What is the trouble?" he inquired.

"Lili is; she's freaking out."

"Bring her here immediately. Phlox out."

"C'mon," Jennifer helped Lili to a standing position, "let's go to Sick Bay. C'mon, Sweetie."

Lili said one thing that was comprehensible. "T-toaster."

Jenny looked at it to see if there was a way to turn off the unit quickly when the doors swished open. It was Craig. "What happened?" he asked; his voice full of alarm as he saw the blood.

"I'm taking her to Sick Bay," Jennifer told him, "She said you need to turn off the toaster. I'm sorry; she won't be able to help you today."

"It's okay," Craig flipped the switch on the unit. "Lili," he came closer, "you leave everything to me, okay? I'll take care of all of it. Don't worry 'bout this. I got this."

Jenny and Lili departed. Craig set about cleaning the blood and the broken glass and blueberry jam off the floor.

=/\=