Enemy Alliances

• Dedicated to Jennifer Horn

The Slayer's Entry

______________

It took us ten minutes to walk to the village. It was quite pretty really. All the buildings were covered in perfect snow.

'Are they always like that?' I asked.

'They are actually,' said Hermione, 'quite strange really.'

'So what building is it?' Harry asked. Though, we soon met an answer. There were crowds of people gathered round the one building and guards attempting to push them away.

'I'm guessing it's that one,' I said.

'How on earth are we going to get in?' enquired Hermione.

'Leave that to me,' Harry said, removing what resembled Mr Blanket from his backpack.

'Your Cloak!' Hermione said.

'Am I missing something here?' I questioned.

'You will when I put it on,' said Harry. He flung the cloak around his shoulders and head. I didn't get to see what he looked like with it on because he no longer appeared to be there.

'So what, it makes you disappear?'

'It makes him invisible,' said Hermione.

I was taken aback. 'Nice!'

'But how am I going to get through the crowds?' he asked.

'Well, you can leave that to me,' said Hermione, removing a flowery wand from her pocket.

'Confundus Maxima!' she whispered slightly. The crowds were sent staggering back apparently confused.

'Quickly, go!' she added. I didn't see Harry go but followed the snowy footprints that he left.

'Nice spell,' I complimented.

'Simple really,' Hermione replied.

'So how are you and Ron getting on?' It was already awkward.

'Er...Fine, thanks.'

'Good.'

We smiled at each other and stood quietly allowing our lips and fingers to numb.

Five minutes later, Harry appeared in front of me after whipping off the Cloak. I was only surprised for a moment.

'So?'

'The body was disgusting. I overheard them saying that some kind of blade was used. Any demons that do that?'

'None that I know of...'

'Which,' said Hermione, 'probably means that this was done by a...'

'Human,' I confirmed.

All of a sudden, we heard clapping from behind us. I turned a little earlier than the other two. My heart began to beat fast as a familiar voice spoke, 'You figured it out!'

She raised the crossbow in her hand and fired an arrow. I caught it before it hit Harry in between the eyes.

'Nice try, Faith,' I said.

'Plenty more chances.' At that moment a black hooded figure swooped down on a broomstick.

'A Death Eater!' Harry said.

Faith mounted the broom and they flew off.

'One guess saying that Death Eaters are bad,' I said.

'There Voldemort's followers. And Faith?'

'She's a rogue Slayer. Which means my worst enemy has joined your worst enemy.'

I snapped the arrow with one hand. This was the best break of my life.