Chapter Thirty

Chapter Thirty

You didn't know how to look for an attic. You guessed it was probably one of those pull-down things—like a string somewhere that you would pull and then stairs came out...? Right? Maybe it would be a set of stairs. If that was the case, you might be in trouble. You were certain you'd not seen any stairs in the house. You were still pretty glum about the whole thing with Ryo, even though Jason had coincidentally found you and comforted you immediately. You were glad to have him around. He was kind. He was supposed to be helping you, actually, but he insisted on taking a break to make some food. You sighed. You should probably get some food, too.

You entered the kitchen with a short wave. "Hi. I decided food was a good idea," you smiled at Jason.

"I told you it was," he shook his head. "I made a sandwich for you already."

"What!" you said in genuine surprise. "This is so sweet, thank you!" You immediately started eating, to Jason's amusement. He smiled at how cute you were being right now. It had been a while since he had gotten to spend time with you, and Ryo making you upset was the perfect time for him to cut in.

"Yeah, well, you should really eat more. You've been pretty busy," he reprimanded as he sat beside you.

"Whatever," you huffed. "Thanks for making me a sandwich."

"I'm guessing you've had no luck so far?" he said in between bites. He was trying really hard to concentrate on what you were talking about, but it got so hard sometimes. When was this all going to be over? When was it finally going to be time for him to take you into his arms forever? He almost sighed at the thought.

"No, I haven't" you said, but he hardly heard you. "Why would Quince even tell us about the attic if it's so hard to find?"

"Just in case, I suppose," Jason shrugged.

"I wish we could ask him," you pouted.

"Hey," Jason smiled as he tilted your face up to look into his eyes. "We'll find it, I'm sure." He was lying, of course. At least, he hoped he was. He wasn't sure what he'd do if you actually found it.

"Well, I know Jenna was doing a lot of searching anyway. Maybe we should take a look at the books she messed with in the library?"

"That's a good idea," Jason nodded. The two of you were done eating, so you went ahead and went to the room.

You looked for the books you remembered her having but struck blank. You frowned. Shit. You were sure they wouldn't be too hard to find, and yet...

"Ah, maybe she took them with her?" you laughed nervously, embarrassed that your idea was useless.

"It's possible," Jason shrugged. He turned to you and put a hand on your shoulder. You looked to him.

"Am I being ridiculous?" you asked, sadness lingering on the edges of your voice. I definitely am being ridiculous, you thought pitifully.

"Maybe," he tilted his head with a thoughtful look, a long gaze that was lost somewhere in the depths of your face. "But sometimes we need to do silly things to comfort ourselves. That's not ridiculous."

"I just want the answers laid out in front of me. It seems impossible," you spoke.

"It probably isn't. There wouldn't be the rule if it was impossible to find," Jason comforted you. "This place is weird. It might just show up sometimes, or maybe only when you yawn and sneeze at the same time."