Chapter Three

Chapter Three

"It's done!" you exclaimed at the timer went off. The two of you were chatting as you waited for the cake to finish. Jason stood up and grabbed the hot pads. As he pulled out the cake, Suki burst in.

"That smells amazing! Jason, I can't believe you stole this cutie from me, though!" Suki laughed as she threw her arms around you. "Between you and me, you are the cutest of the newbies." You blushed and laughed lightly at her antics.

"I agree," Jason called from the other side of the room. Your face reddened even more as you covered your face with your hands.

"See! Isn't she precious?" Suki continued as she scooped you into her arms and carried you closer to Jason. I'll have to remember how strong she is.

"You can put me down, Suki," You smiled.

"No way! I'm holding you for safe-keeping, angel!" she winked at you.

"Put her down, Suki," A gruff voice spoke. You looked to the door and saw the man from earlier, Ryo.

Suki stuck her tongue out, "And why should I listen to you?" Despite her retorting, Suki placed you on the ground. The smell of the cake must have traveled the house quickly though because soon everyone entered the kitchen. Quince walked in second to last, followed by a girl you didn't recognize. This must be Dianna, you thought. She had short black hair and golden eyes that quickly found your form. She scrutinized you intensely and you shifted nervously. She made her way over to you.

"I'm Dianna," She grabbed your hand, but instead of shaking it she kissed your knuckles. Although it was a pretty intimate gesture, her gaze held no softness. She made you a bit nervous as she kept eye contact and dropped your hand. Jason walked over with the cake on a plate.

"Dianna, you're scaring her. Can you lay off?" Jason spoke.

"She's kinda cute when she's scared though!" Suki booped your nose. You looked to the floor and held your arm anxiously as you tried to chuckle. Jason saved you again by pulling you towards the table.

"Come on, sit by me. Suki, can you grab plates for everyone?" Suki rolled her eyes but did as he said. You sat at the table and realized that Quince had been staring at you. Rather than look away when you noticed, though, He just smiled and chose the seat across from you.

"Sorry I didn't get to formally introduce you to Ryo and Dianna. It's just someone," he glared at Jason, "wanted to keep you all to himself."

Jason put a hand on your shoulder, "What's wrong with making a few friends?" Quince didn't reply. Jason sat on your left, and Dianna took the seat to your right. This surprised you a little, and to be honest, you were hoping for Suki to sit by you. She wasn't nearly as scary. Don and Jenna sat on either side of Quince, which left Ryo and Suki to sit at the ends of the table.

"This is good," Jenna commented, surprising you with her light attitude again. She must have just been stressed at first. Which is understandable. There were murmurs of agreement as you and Jason said thank you.

"Do we have our own rooms?" Don asked.

"Yeah," Quince spoke in between bites. "I'll show you after this if you'd like." Don nodded at this.

"I want (y/n) to stay with me!" Suki beamed.

"No," Jason and Ryo said in unison. Ryo's response surprised you, but he didn't even look your way. Quince shrugged.

"Sorry Suki, everyone gets their own room. Whether (y/n) sleeps in there or not is up to her," Quince smirked at you.

"Suki, you seem a bit attached to a girl you just met today," Jason commented as he placed a hand over yours. His actions made your stomach flutter. Is the afterlife supposed to be romantic? This is all a bit weird