Safe

My slowly opened my weary eyes, the familiar bright lights of the infirmary comforted me. I sighed slumping back into the overly soft mattress. My shoulder ached slightly but was nothing compared to what it was. I closed my eyes and let out a long relaxing breath. We were safe, we were fine. From beside me a low chuckle sounded and I turned to see from whom it had come from. I smiled at the elderly man with a long, white beard, Dumbledore's twinkling eyes glinted with relief and regret.

"Professor?" I rasped, pulling myself into a sitting position. A small smile tugged at his lips and his reached forward to tuck away a stray curl from my face.

"You know, you remind me a lot of my sister." His voice was sad and empty, a he stared unseeingly into my icy eyes.

"She was very brave and kind., but she too had her demons. Just like you." I dropped my head, my demons were something I couldn't rid myself of, even if I tried.

"Ariana was a wonderful person right till the end." The headmaster turned away, but I could still see the single tear that ran down his wrinkled face.

"She meant a lot to you, Sir?" I asked, I had never seen a grown man cry, never seen the softer side of adults and now to see someone I held as such an untouchable, cry. It baffled me and at the same time reminded me that, even if we can do magic, even if we are powerful and secret to the Muggle world. We're still only human, not matter our abilities. Albus nodded, his watery smile causing my heart to clench.

"She was my most treasured friend and companion, I loved her dearly." He cleared his throat and quickly wiped away the stray tear.

"Now, what you have done in the Chamber of Secrets, Miss Riddle, was a huge test of your loyalty to this school and to your friends. A test which I am most happy to say you passed with flying colours." I smiled.

"You knew I would go down there, didn't you? You left the note." He nodded, his wrinkled old hand resting upon mine on the metal frame of the bed.

"Yes, I knew. I did not however know which side you would help." He paused shaking his head slightly. "You astound me everyday, Anna. The sacrifices you make for you friends and the secrets you hide must weigh heavily upon your young shoulders." I nodded, unable to find the words to admit it aloud.

"We'll done, you have done us all proud." He patted my fingers before turning to walk away.

"Professor?" I called after him and he halted in his tracks.

"There is something I must confess to. When we were down therein the chamber. Tom Riddle told Harry my name...my real name." His eyes darkened and he returned to his previous seat, his robes brushing softly along the clean floor.

"What did you do, Anna?" I dropped my gaze ashamed to have disappointed him.

"I took away his memories, Harry's. I made him forget about me, about Eruanna Lurina. You must understand I had no other choice, he didn't see me as, me. He saw me as...a monster." I knew I was rambling and my voice was gradually turning to sobs. Yet the Headmaster simply sat and waited not saying a word. He sighed.

"It is very rare, Anna, to find a hero who has not done his fair share of offences. What you have done yes is wrong, but there are much worse things you could have done." He watched me carefully, I knew what he meant. That I could have turned against my friends. I could have help Voldemort, I could have kept the sword for myself, but I didn't.

"You should be proud of yourself Anna. I know I am." I smiled up at my grandfather figure, his warm smile and soft eyes welcoming against the conflict in my mind.

"Now, I do believe there is someone here who wishes to see you." He stood, pulling back the curtain surrounding my bed.

   Standing uncertainly at the entrance stood a very tired looking Oliver. I grinned a his eyes flickered over the many empty and occupied beds, until they locked with mine. They flooded with relief, hope and...love. My breath hitched as he began towards me our eyes never leaving each others.