A Centaurs Promise

I left the common room needing some space to think. I headed down to the barn, ignoring the whispers of my fellow students. I opened the barn door to find Grace not in her stable, the back door was open so I wandered out into the paddock. The cold air hit me, knocking the air from my lungs and my hair whipped round my face, stinging my cheeks.

"Grace?" I called into the pasture, the grass swirled changing direction in the undetermined wind. A faint whinny sounded and I began to make my way further out into the wild roar. I shouted again, but my voice was lost, unable to see my precious friend I stumbled over the grassy hill. I gasped, the great evergreen trees of the forbidden forest rose up blocking out all light from the clouded sky. There she stood neck leaning over the fence trying to reach something on the other side.

"Grace!" I shouted again and began to run towards her. Tripping and sliding down the slick vegetation. Movement in the shadows caught my eye.

"Hey?" I shouted breathlessly. The figure was blocked by Graces huge form. As I approached I quickly pushed her back away from the decaying place. I flung my arms around her neck, in a desperate embrace.

"Don't ever do that to me again." I scolded and she snorted as though in answer. I heard a shocked breath from behind me and I spun, catching only a flicker of movement from inside the shadows.

"Hello?" I called cautiously, my experiences with the forest had never been good and I preferred to keep my distance, but sometimes thing don't always go your way. From behind a tree a face emerged, before disappearing again. It was the face of a boy, intrigued and seemingly alone.

"Hello? It's ok." I soothed, waiting patiently for him to appear again. He snuck another peek and held my gaze for a few moments. I was right a boy, more a teenager than a child, stared back at me. I smiled softly.

"I promise I don't bite." The young man chuckled and took a step forward, as I took a step back.This was not an ordinary boy. His chest was bare, covered only slightly by a leather waistcoat, which was torn and stitched roughly with vines. his skin was golden brown, making his sculpted torso shimmer in the dim light. his ear were long and pointed, his eyes a vivid leaf green. His sandy coloured hair was mirrored in his muscles haunches, where his legs should have stood was the body of a horse, the fine hair covering it gleamed and the long tail was a light blond. To his back he had strapped a quiver and a bow, both seemed worn with use. His waist held a leather belt, embellished with a embroidered design, tucked into it was a knife, it's silver blade winked at me.

"Hello." He voice was like honey and the air seemed to leave my body upon hearing it.

"H-hello." I couldn't help my stuttering, I had not expected to find such...beauty, from the dark forest.

"I am sorry if I startled you," he smiled, "I was simply admiring her." He lifted he hand and gestured to Grace who stood behind me.

"Thank you." I blushed. In my mind I was screaming at myself for being such a bad conversationalist. Normally I could talk for the whole wizarding world.

"My name is Alderas, Son of Firenze master and leader of the Centaur herd." He bowed low and I watched a the muscles in his back rippled. Stop it, Anna!

"I'm Anna."

"I know, Eruanna Lurina, your name has become famous among us. Your bond with this beautiful creature earns you good stead in the centaur's hearts. You are a friend to us, Miss Riddle. You are the light in the approaching darkness and we are here to serve." Our eyes met and I felt butterfly's in my stomach. His words seemed rehearsed, but natural, it was confusing. As though he had said them a hundred times, but only now truly meant them.