Chapter 11

I sat on a large root and sighed. We had reached further enough in the woods to see the outline of the diner but we were still miles from it and couldn't keep moving now 'cause we had to prepare for the night that had already fallen.

I let my head drop backward and onto the tree trunk as I waited for Miguel and John to come back from searching for firewood.

I didn't trust John to go alone with Miguel but he had insisted that he'd be alright. It had taken some time for me to believe him because Miguel looked much stronger and heavier than John, but that didn't mean that I wasn't worried about him.

John had been creeping me out ever since he had turned to look back with that smirk on his face. As if he had heard what we had said.

"But that's impossible," I said aloud to no one. He was so far ahead that he'd have to be a demon or some sort of creature to actually hear what had been said.

I brushed that thought away. No way he could be. Even though he might seem strange, he had helped us to get away from the wolf and he'd guided us towards safety all the time.

Protecting us. Protecting me.

I groaned in frustration and rubbed my eyes. But it still didn't add up.

How had he pushed that wolf off me so lightly when it had weighed a ton? How did he manage to sleep with his eyes open and claim it to be a habit? How did the crystal stone end up with him when he had clearly told me that it did not exist anymore? And more importantly, how had I lost control over myself like that when we had kissed?

It wasn't like he wasn't attractive. He was, very much. But with all this going on I didn't have time to notice and actually have time to feel something.

What disturbed me the most was that Miguel had said that he'd seen me kissing John just as passionately as John had before he'd intervened. Also, by now that voice in my head would be tormenting me since it had never let me be in a relationship without torturing me day in, day out. It had never once left me in peace. So it certainly did not make any sense to me.

After about two minutes, my eyes began to flutter, yet I forced them to stay open. It wasn't that dark this night, thanks to the full moon, so I could see just enough of my surroundings without any fire. It was cold though, so I had to wrap my arms around myself in order to try to keep myself warm.

John and Miguel still had not returned and I was gradually getting more anxious each second. I forced sleep away from my eyes and rose to my feet. Wiping my butt with my hands to shake off the dirt, I strolled quietly into the woods to look for them.

"Miguel? John?" I called out, but not too loudly because I was wary of the beasts lurking around. I definitely did not want to catch unwanted attention.

"Miguel?" I called out again, squinting through the darkness as I stepped over a broken branch. My heart thumped hard against my ribcage just as my breathing quickened.

I got off the large root I was perched on and walked slowly towards the path that I remembered them take before gulping down the huge lump in my throat.

Something wasn't right. Something definitely wasn't right.

I couldn't hear a single cricket nor any nocturnal animal sounds. Nothing. Just silence. Only the crouching of my feet on sticks and stones could be heard.

"Miguel?" They might've gone further than I'd expected. Firewood wasn't hard to find in these parts of the woods so I had no idea what was keeping them so long.

Something snapped behind me and I stopped dead in my tracks. I whirled around swiftly and shrieked when a hand clasped my shoulder.

"John! Oh! Where have you been?" I gasped in shock when I saw his figure. Even in the dark, I could see the minor tears in his clothes and the blood that soaked his shirt. His hair was tousled and his pupils were slightly dilated.