Chapter 4

Mine.

The ferocity of those words echoed in my head as I forced my mind to block that voice. But as usual, I failed.

Mine.

I had no idea where that voice had come from and I had no idea how to stop it. It just came and went as it pleased. Its words haunted me every moment of my life ever since I turned eighteen.

And right then, it seemed louder and more demanding than it had ever been.

You're mine, Phoebe.

The husky voice just wouldn't stop.

Mine. You're mine. And I will have you.

No! I would always scream back at it after it said those words. Please, leave me alone.

It had always worked before. The voice would leave each time I would stand up against it. But this time, it was as if it had developed a sudden fierce authority over me, over my own mind. It didn't listen and back off like it usually did, but rather it sounded more determined that this time I would give in.

And frankly, with the way the voice was getting thicker and harsher by the minute, I feared that it wouldn't be long before I would finally let it take over me.

You are mine, it growled out. And I will have you.

Please, no.

You are mine.

No! Please, just stop! The voice was getting worse, and I was getting desperate.

Yes. Mine. The voice then started to fade, which only meant that I was waking up. I'll make you mine, on the third full moon.

I jolted awake. But that was a bad idea because my head suddenly hit the roof of a hard ceiling.

"Ow," I groaned and rubbed the sore spot.

Strangely, the cove was deadly quiet and I thought I was the only one left there until my eyes came into contact with a pair of bright, familiar steel-blue ones.

I shrieked and quickly backed away on instinct. I hadn't known that John was awake and catching him staring at me like that was enough to make me react the way I did at first glance. His eyes seemed to bore through my own as he continued to gaze intently and I couldn't help but feel a little uncomfortable under his scrutiny. I fumbled awkwardly with my fingers until I had the courage to speak.

I cleared my throat in an attempt to kill the silence. "John?"

His head had been positioned on his palm as he lay propped up on his elbow. He didn't move. Not a single sound came from him and that started to make me uneasy.

"John? John?" I tried again, fear lacing through my voice. I scrambled from my position and crawled towards him. "John?" I shook his shoulder.

But he just kept staring at me.

"John?" Now I was getting terrified. He hadn't moved. He hadn't even blinked. He just stayed there, staring.