Chapter 10

Mine.

Mine!

I covered my ears with both hands and squeezed my eyes shut. The voice was back, and it sounded more desperate than ever.

I'll make you mine.

No! I screamed back but it just ignored my protest and continued to repeat, 'mine'.

I didn't understand why this was happening. The voice was louder than ever before and I couldn't seem to stop its insane claiming commands anymore.

I'll have you tonight.

No! Useless.

You'll be officially mine tonight, my little mate.

I could feel the sweat lingering on my forehead as I struggled to wake up. The voice was getting louder and it was deafening, but I couldn't stop it.

Tonight.

My eyes snapped open the second after the last word echoed throughout my head. I jolted and groaned when the sun's rays hit me full force in the face from where I sat. I then used my hand to block the harsh light that peeked out of the opening.

I looked around the narrow cave and wasn't surprising at all to find that John and Miguel had left me alone. Perhaps they had gone to find food.

Grimacing at the dull throb in my ankle, I crawled away from my position before I carefully climbed out of the opening. Cautious not to strain my injured ankle further, I lowered myself slowly to the ground and used my good foot as my anchor to the ground then let go of the mouth of the opening.

The minute I'd landed on the ground, I peered downwards where I landed and was a bit relieved to see that Maddison's body wasn't there. It was either John or Miguel had taken it away from here or the wolf had decided to drag it along with it, which wouldn't add up.

Either way, I was grateful. I couldn't bear to look at her lifeless figure as it would bring back harsh memories of her little trust in me and I certainly wasn't up for that.

Brushing away the stray tear that had managed to escape from my left eye, I limped away and towards the bushes where I heard the sound of rushing water from a distance.

After carefully making my way towards the noise which kept getting louder with each step I took, I stepped out of the thin bushes and sighed when I came across a brook.

The water splashed against the rocks that were embedded in the small stream and tiny green plants could be seen underneath the small rocks in the water. I sat down on a rock by the brook and bent down to place my hand in it, sighing as its smooth texture cooled my fingers.

"Enjoying the water?" John appeared out of the blue and knelt down beside me with a small smile playing on his lips.

Unable to help it, I smiled back and nodded slowly. "It does feels good," I replied and shifted my gaze from him to look at the water.

Carefully, he shifted in his position to sit cross-legged before carefully lifting my left leg, which I had placed in the water, and began to massage my sore ankle. I flinched at the slight pain that arose when he put pressure on it but then it later subsided and I smiled gratefully at him as he soothed the pain away.

"Now that feels so good." I sighed again, straightened up and closed my eyes as his fingers got to work.

"That's a nasty bite mark you've got," John said as he ran his finger over my swollen ankle. I mumbled a 'yeah' before relaxing some more but then a thought crossed my mind at the mention of the wolf's bite.