Chapter 14

On Sunday morning, Saturn and I carpooled to the military base. Traffic had led to cars moving at tortoise speed. Panicked drivers tightly gripped their steering wheels. Their cars jerked with each motion during the stop and go pace. Saturn strangled her steering wheel, not in fear but in road rage. As the girlfriend of Wyatt, she had more opportunities to visit the area and had gotten to know Wyatt's officers, giving her more leeway to show up whenever. At the moment, she cursed and slammed her horn. I felt bad for other people because I would have the same treatment if I was in their place. The last time I came there was two years ago. I ignored the terrified faces and turned my eyes to the scenery and all the cool military equipment and design.

Fifteen minutes later, Saturn pulled into a parking spot. After the ride, I was ready to explore and talk with townsfolk and officers. Saturn was not so motivated.

"Don't you want to listen to the radio or feel the car's heater for a bit longer?"

I pulled on her arm and dragged out of the car. She rolled her eyes but complied. I almost tripped over my own feet as she began leading toward the main area. She looked side eyed around us, and I noticed the critical looks of the drivers Saturn cussed out before. When we had a safe distance, Saturn relaxed.

Patriotic music played. The grass seemed primped, and buildings were made even more presentable than normal. All the used airplanes shined like they were brand new. Every officer, soldier, and student soldier wore green camo uniforms. Each lined up to greet the guests at the entrance. Wyatt was hard to identify among them all. We were put out of our searching misery when he grabbed onto Saturn. "I'm so glad you could make it!"

Saturn gave him a hug. "I wouldn't miss it. This place looks great. What should Carly and I do first?"

He pointed out so many activities and areas that I assumed that we should explore everywhere. After a few more minutes of talking, Wyatt went back to greeting the other guests. The last image we saw until the next sight of him was a bright, sparkling smile. An unfounded urge to look for Ben arose. I caught his eye as Saturn and I walked away from the greeting area. He gave me a smile that only I saw. I felt odd afterward, knowing that his eyes lit up when he saw me.

I couldn't get enough of the entertainment. An obstacle course was set up for civilians to try. A strength test known as the high striker was set up to see who could outshine the rest of us. I took a few swings with the mallet but never got the bell to ring. You could pay to slug a car with a hammer. When guest arrival began to decrease, some student soldiers slipped away to take part in the fun games, including the pay-to-pie an officer in the face. There were classic carnival stations such as a cotton candy machine, a dunk tank, and throwing a baseball at stacked cans. Some events were free and some you had to pay. All revenue went back into military programs, allowing people to feel less guilty for spending so much. I brought a bit of money with me, wanting to enjoy myself without worry.

Saturn stuck with the classic games or hung back while I tried the obstacle course. The expression on her face told me that she was deep in her thoughts. She looked wearily at the events and romanticized military atmosphere. I immediately knew she was thinking about Wyatt's future as a pilot.

"It's dangerous," I remember Saturn telling me after school one day. "He could get shot out of the sky or injured."

"It's something he loves to do."

"What about his love for me?"

"What about his love for you? Can't he love more than one thing? Saturn, he knows what he is doing. He will be a trained professional, not a newbie when off fighting in Iraq or somewhere. As much as it will break your heart when you see him go for a few months, it will break his heart even more if he has to work a desk job instead of flying."