Part 18: Hiding Under A Table... It's Still A Great Solution To Any Problem!

Lukas was in love with Jesse? The confession jolted Romeo into a state of shock. He now knew exactly what was going on, but Jesse still seemed to be missing the point. She didn't look taken aback at all and beamed at Lukas.

"I already know that, Lukas. You're an awesome friend too," Jesse complimented. Petra, Olivia, Axel, and Romeo suppressed a laugh. "What's so funny?" Jesse asked, still genuinely confused.

"Jesse, he likes you," Olivia explained. Jesse looked even more baffled as she nodded.

"Yeah, and I know that. He likes me a lot and we get along really well. Why do you guys keep on telling me things I already know?" Jesse questioned. Olivia looked absolutely exasperated.

"Jesse, not long after you accepted me that night in the treehouse when no one else would... I fell in love. You're a sweet, beautiful, determined, brave, and intelligent young woman and I wouldn't change a thing about you. I tried to confess my romantic feelings four days ago and you didn't seem to get it... but it wasn't you anyway-- so, uh... Yeah," Lukas admitted. Jesse and Romeo's cheeks went red. Romeo was feeling highly embarrassed because Lukas had confessed his love to Romeo-as-Jesse, and not Jesse like Lukas had intended to. As he recalled the memory, Romeo felt highly uncomfortable.

"Wait... you thought Romeo actually was Jesse while he was impersonating Jesse and said 'Hey, I have a crush on you'?" Petra questioned. Her imitation of Lukas was monotonous and flat.

"Petra, I don't sound like that," Lukas sighed. Petra smiled slyly and raised an eyebrow.

"Yeah, you're right. You sound like this: 'Good golly gosh, Jesse! I have a crush on ya!'" Petra mimicked, this time making Lukas sound like a children's cartoon character with a high pitched voice. Lukas looked highly annoyed.

"Can Romeo just tell you what I really sounded like?" Lukas groaned. Petra nodded and Romeo shifted uncomfortably.

"I mean... I guess I can tell everyone what happened that day. To be honest, I'll probably never forget anything from my time impersonating Jesse," Romeo answered.

And so Romeo began to tell the story of what had happened...

Lukas walked up to Romeo- who was disguised as Jesse, blushing profusely. "Jesse, I know this might freak you out... but I have romantic feelings for you," Lukas confessed.

And freak Romeo out it did. He struggled to not throw up. Lukas must have noticed how nauseated Romeo looked, because he asked: "Jesse? Are you okay?"

"Yeah, I'm fine," Romeo managed to say, albeit shakily. It was one of the few lies he'd told well. Romeo was filled with equal parts guilt and disgust. Disgusted with himself for stealing an innocent young woman's identity- an innocent young woman's life- just to get all of the love she had. It was wrong of him, a sick and twisted way to get what he so desperately needed... a friend. Any friend. Because truth be told, Romeo was lonely. He hadn't had friends for a long time. So even though he was impersonating Jesse, he was justified in a way. Right? Try as he might to convince himself that his actions were reasonable, a twisting and churning feeling lingered in his gut.

"You're sure you're okay? You just went quiet all the sudden... I really hope I didn't make you uncomfortable or anything," Lukas checked. What would Jesse do? She would wave a hand in dismissal, as if the thought was silly. She was really kind like that. So that's what Romeo did.

"No, no, not at all. Just thinking about a lot," Romeo answered. Lukas stared at him in silence for a moment.

"Jesse, you've been... different since you got back from the Icy Palace of Despair. You talk different. You sound different. You act different. What happened there that... that changed you?" Lukas continued. Romeo struggled to meet his eyes.